PTO ISSUE

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
I'm having trouble with the pto in my JD 2040. I was shredding with it and dis-engaged the pto to drive back down the lane. Now it won't re-engage. The lever just stopps part way. If you put everything in neutral (engine off) engage the clutch and turn the output shaft by hand it will almost catch but won't engage.

Any ideas? I pulled the cover off. To check the linkage and short of draining all the hydraulic fluid to look at it nothing seems to be wrong. I can't get my hand down there to feel anything.

The PTO clutch is operated by hydraulic pressure probable have o rings out on the clutch pack or line broke going to it.

tater74":32p77nlc said:
Jltrent. I had seen those threads and unfortantely they weren't a lot of help.

I should be able to manually move the pto lever and engage the pto with engine off and everything in neutral, correct?
How many hours are on the tractor? Also has it ever had the clutch replaced before? My Ford 3600 is hard to engage and I bet the 2 stage clutch is bout gone.

tater74":35qoxfx3 said:
Jltrent. I had seen those threads and unfortantely they weren't a lot of help.

I should be able to manually move the pto lever and engage the pto with engine off and everything in neutral, correct?
No. Something is weak or broken. You need to figure out if you have a mechanical problem or a hydraulic problem....what have you done to try to diagnos your complaint?

There are 1,650 hours on the tractor.

The gear set looks very good, no rounded corners or worn gears.

Kingsolver, good question. I admit to not knowing a lot about the hydraulic workings of a tractor. The knowledgeable people I talked to (including a 15 yr JD mechanic) said I should be able to engage the pto manually woth the tractor off. It is a shifter fork moving a gear on a splined shaft. Why wouldn't I be able to manually engage to pto?

Could it be something really simple like a broken roll pin in the pto lever. Look for the simplest things first.

According to JD parts online. There is a two stage dual clutch pto system. And the independent hydraulic engaged pto.
 I'm not sure what that last sentence means....have you looked for something worn or out of adjustment in the engagement lever?

To me this is sounding more like a "blown o-ring" or something more than an adjustment problem, it was working fine and suddenly quit, a bad adjustment is unlikely to cause that.

Do you think you could post a couple pictures of the linkage, and I guess internals since you seem to have it apart?

The bearing and the carrier blew apart. Drained the fluids, replaced the bearing, carrier and seal. New fluid and everything works great. I don't understand why it happened but it did. Hopefully it won't again.