PTO Clutch Problem

Help Support CattleToday:

skip

Reaction score
First, let me say I don't no much at all about the internal parts of a tractor. I can change fluids and filters belts and hoses but as far a as the guts, I don't even want to go there.

I have a 20 year old ford 6610. We bought it 6 years ago and it has never missed a lick. We have used it for shredding our acreage. In the last couple of months, I've notice the shredder cannot handle even bushy brush that it used to go through like a buzz saw. It's not the clutch on the shaft becasue the whole shaft slows to a stop. The mechanic says I need to replace the clutch in the PTO. If this is the case, does anyone have a idea about the approximate cost of this operation. He said about $1000. Since there not a lot of others out there to work on it, I am just trying to see if that's about right or do I need to load it up and go out for prices.

I think JD is right about contacting a Ford (New Holland) dealer or web site. $1K might be a little low IMO because they will have to split the tractor and gain access to the gear box area (front of the transmission if I'm not mistaken). The 6610 is a pretty big tractor and big usually means expensive.

skip":x2fezpei said:
First, let me say I don't no much at all about the internal parts of a tractor. I can change fluids and filters belts and hoses but as far a as the guts, I don't even want to go there.

I have a 20 year old ford 6610. We bought it 6 years ago and it has never missed a lick. We have used it for shredding our acreage. In the last couple of months, I've notice the shredder cannot handle even bushy brush that it used to go through like a buzz saw. It's not the clutch on the shaft becasue the whole shaft slows to a stop. The mechanic says I need to replace the clutch in the PTO. If this is the case, does anyone have a idea about the approximate cost of this operation. He said about $1000. Since there not a lot of others out there to work on it, I am just trying to see if that's about right or do I need to load it up and go out for prices.

Here's a link with a clutch pack for a standard 6610. http://brokentractor.com/ford_trans-pto-clutch.htm If your 6610 is dual power it may be different. There's also a 4

skip":3eaea5yi said:

Here's a link with a clutch pack for a 6610. http://brokentractor.com/ford_trans-pto-clutch.htm There's also a 4 disc and 5 disc pack. If your 6610 is dual power it may be different, so these may not be the right parts for your model. The packs are $325 and expect the price you were given is about right.

I noticed the pto is started by a hydrauilc pistion of a sort. I saw on another site an O-ring for this piston and wondered is it could be leaking enough to not add enough pressure to fully enguage the clutch pack. I had a problem with an IH 574 like that but the Ford may have a total different set up. Anyway that link will give you an idea of the part price.

rmcva":qex7443y said:
skip":qex7443y said:

Here's a link with a clutch pack for a 6610. http://brokentractor.com/ford_trans-pto-clutch.htm There's also a 4 disc and 5 disc pack. If your 6610 is dual power it may be different, so these may not be the right parts for your model. The packs are $325 and expect the price you were given is about right.

I noticed the pto is started by a hydrauilc pistion of a sort. I saw on another site an O-ring for this piston and wondered is it could be leaking enough to not add enough pressure to fully enguage the clutch pack. I had a problem with an IH 574 like that but the Ford may have a total different set up. Anyway that link will give you an idea of the part price.

I believe sir you are correct. There is a clutch pack that is hydraulically operated. At least that's the way it works on my 3000 and IH 1486. Hyd pressure is applied to the piston which moves the clutch pack together which then ties the two halves of the control unit together and turns the PTO shaft. There's several things that could be at fault, all of which should be checked when the tractor is split. The hydraulic pump needs to be checked for proper pressure (probably not the culprit), all seals (lip seals and O-rings) should be replaced and all friction disc's and steel plates (reaction plates) should be replaced and a check valve the should be looked at. More than likely the clutch pack friction discs are fried caused by a leaking lip seal.

If this gentleman can get this done for $1K I'd say go for it.

skip":35ty00b8 said:

Clucth is wore out most likely from age, no slip clutch on the bush hog or mowing stuff way to big. You can't even get the case split here for a 1000 bucks much less the clutch rebuilt.

A thousand bucks is cheap. I did one on an old 5000 about ten years ago and it was just under $500 in parts. On that particular tractor I didn't have to split it but just about all the new ones require splitting.

cfpinz

Latest posts