Protein Tubs for winter Middle TN

Help Support CattleToday:

midtncattle

Reaction score
I am using a mineral lick tub from co-op. I have cows breed for late spring calving. I was wondering if any of you in my area have used a tub that you felt provided best bang for buck? I have also toyed with liquid tubs. I would also be interested to hear if you are using a mineral that you feel really helps cows in getting breed back quickly? Thanks

midtncattle":24n4cjjh said:
I am using a mineral lick tub from co-op. I have cows breed for late spring calving. I was wondering if any of you in my area have used a tub that you felt provided best bang for buck? I have also toyed with liquid tubs. I would also be interested to hear if you are using a mineral that you feel really helps cows in getting breed back quickly? Thanks
Not sure if you have fescue there but I use Chrystalyx brand High Mag Fescue Lyx. It is available from certain but not all of the TN cooperatives. I called Friday about it and found it in Morristown, TN but there are others. It has no added salt so I feel they are getting what they need not just after the salt.

I am in south middle TN...I am using a mineral from Performance Feeds called Breeder Elite...it has the best levels of chelated copper, zinc, selenium,iodine and vitamins that I found in my area. I really like what it has done on my herd and would recommend it...as you probably know most of mid TN is copper deficient...Good luck!

Also, have stopped using tubs since feed costs have come down...just supplement those that need (nursing cows and calves, replacement bulls and heifers) to keep them performing. Dry cows just get grass, hay and mineral.

We use sweet pro tubs since we started (three years ago) our mature cows have not had a bite of feed just tubs, minerals and grass and they are in the best shape they have ever been in.

gizmom

I use stymulix. Its also high mag. Its hard so they cant eat it, they have to lick it. This will be the third year to use it for me. Its around 90-100$ at my co op and will do 20 cows for 3 months. It has all minerals but i still keep out loose minerals with it.

Craig Miller":z5ox0k04 said:
I use stymulix. Its also high mag. Its hard so they cant eat it, they have to lick it. This will be the third year to use it for me. Its around 90-100$ at my co op and will do 20 cows for 3 months. It has all minerals but i still keep out loose minerals with it.
. Using stymu-lix with tasco now...heard good things from other cattleman about it. Would work in Southern Tn.as well..good thing it's baked so the hogs don't over consume..

Latest posts