Property Tax

Help Support CattleToday:

hurleyjd

Reaction score
Question? Do we actually own our property or we just renting it each year to use it. Our name is one the deed but if you do not pay the rent(tax) they will evict you and sale it to someone else.

It gets pretty frustrating to pay the cost of one to two acres of land each year, for property tax on our farm land and the houses on it. We could have another 40 acres of land for what has been payed in property taxes over the last 20 years.

hurleyjd said:
Question? Do we actually own our property or we just renting it each year to use it. Our name is one the deed but if you do not pay the rent(tax) they will evict you and sale it to someone else.

We rent, if you don't believe that quit paying your property taxes.
All taxes need to abolished and start over with only a sales tax. Set up state, local, and federal and you will really see what you're paying.
Then it is fair and equal if you spend a dollar it's taxed no matter where your from. Illegals pay just like everyone else.

TennesseeTuxedo said:
Taxes are a necessary evil. We must fund our schools, fire AND POLICE departments somehow. What we need is for our government at all levels to be better stewards of our revenue.

Yes, I agree it's necessary and that there should be good stewardship. However, I think there is a lot of not so good stewardship going on. The school system accounts for half or more of the taxation percentage and I don't think the big new buildings every few years are all that necessary or beneficial to eduction.

I bought 3.5 acres between me and lake fork the land was land locked. I have land right next to it and have had an Ag exemption on it. They told me I would need to own it for five years and then apply. I gave $10000 for it and have paid paid $3000 in taxes since. Another man bought 21 acres next to me that had an an Ag-exemtion on it he lives in Dallas and gives a person hay from it the hay makes two round bales. Really think person should show the appraisal distract their scedule F to show they are really producing from it and not just speculators.

Its clearly a racket. I don't disagree we need to pay taxes just don't think if you own the land and house you should continue to pay taxes for life. Kentucky pays property tax yearly and 6% on sells. Isn't Tennessee tax laws different on property and ya'll pay higher sells tax (9-11%?) Some states the electric bills charge school taxes. Also the lottery helps with education and parks. I'm wasted enough on lottery tickets to support that. 😊😂 Go me!!! 🤡

Just think of all the taxes you have paid out in your life. 😁😅🤣😂 Some government worker or police officer driving some nice ride. 🤣 I'm joking!!!

hurleyjd said:
I bought 3.5 acres between me and lake fork the land was land locked. I have land right next to it and have had an Ag exemption on it. They told me I would need to own it for five years and then apply. I gave $10000 for it and have paid paid $3000 in taxes since. Another man bought 21 acres next to me that had an an Ag-exemtion on it he lives in Dallas and gives a person hay from it the hay makes two round bales. Really think person should show the appraisal distract their scedule F to show they are really producing from it and not just speculators.

Lots of people with three goats and a donkey getting out of paying taxes. The worm is starting to turn on that
Lots of counties starting to crack down. I've heard 30 acre minimum for cattle. Unless it's part of a bigger operation. I don't think acres is the way to requlate it, maybe something along the lines of percentage of income idk. It would stop a lot of tax dodging and increase land available to be leased by those truly in agriculture

TennesseeTuxedo said:
Taxes are a necessary evil. We must fund our schools, fire AND POLICE departments somehow. What we need is for our government at all levels to be better stewards of our revenue.

BS. User fees. For everything. You use it, you pay for it. Don't drag me into paying for Jimmy and Sally's education because their parents decided to pop them out. And if Barry's house burns down, let insurance pay for the fire department costs. If Jenny's mom gets murdered, it makes sense for the state government to pay for the cops so that they don't lose any more good taxpayers.

You don't get small government by mindlessly soaking everyone to pay for it.

hurleyjd said:

JD
I bet if you would have gone down and asked for a meeting with the assessor and handed him 1000 dolars "for his campaign expenses"" you would have had your exemption.

TennesseeTuxedo said:

Well, you do not need police in some areas now.....

Maybe in those areas a few letters on how much the tax will drop will wake them up....lol

There is a lot of truth to the old saying of paying taxes is a privilege. That does not mean I agree with the amount or utilization in many cases.

What would happen to agriculture land in general if property taxes were abolished? I think we'd see more land grabs from corporations, environmental groups and foreign investment. How about hunting? And new blood to ranching and farming? Forget it, we'd be just like England and working the land for some wealthy family. Don't know about the you, but I wouldn't be able to compete with Mrs. Pickens wanting another 100,000 acres to have horses roam free.

Beefeater said:
There is a lot of truth to the old saying of paying taxes is a privilege. That does not mean I agree with the amount or utilization in many cases.

What would happen to agriculture land in general if property taxes were abolished? I think we'd see more land grabs from corporations, environmental groups and foreign investment. How about hunting? And new blood to ranching and farming? Forget it, we'd be just like England and working the land for some wealthy family. Don't know about the you, but I wouldn't be able to compete with Mrs. Pickens wanting another 100,000 acres to have horses roam free.

Nothing to say a county couldn't tax the heck out of non-resident landowners/speculators.

Beefeater said:

We have actually really low yearly taxes for any rural land, it costs more in cities and towns where water etc is supplied....

But it costs bucket loads just to buy rubbish bush blocks, and, every purchase is taxed at a %, so even a small block of dirt in a town costs a fair bit in a once off tax, then you have the local govt ongoing taxes which is prob 2k a year in most places.

Buying and selling land here comes with sig costs, holding rural land is not much more than the repayments, which will be high compared to income potential....in most spots, if it is cheap and productive, it will cost a mint getting stuff to market.....

Aaron said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:

BS. User fees. For everything. You use it, you pay for it. Don't drag me into paying for Jimmy and Sally's education because their parents decided to pop them out. And if Barry's house burns down, let insurance pay for the fire department costs. If Jenny's mom gets murdered, it makes sense for the state government to pay for the cops so that they don't lose any more good taxpayers.

You don't get small government by mindlessly soaking everyone to pay for it.
Haha!!
I agree with you there. I used to tick my off when I was to paid school taxes, it came out my check, phone bill ect. This was before I had any children. I thought this is so darn silly I'm pay this school tax I don't have kids. Don't think it was just the school taxes... every time we go out to Walmart some kid would begging for money I mean raising money from ball uniforms, new computers, to this that and the other. Its great kids play ball don't get me wrong there. Just don't agree with them asking for money for everything when their parents should pay for it.

There was some county close to us they paid a fee for the fire department. If you didn't pay the fee they wouldn't come out or they would send you a bill. It was a small place. They wasn't getting the taxes and funds needed so they started doing it like that.

Latest posts