Proper Care

Help Support CattleToday:

karlie45

Reaction score
A feedlot across town loses a good 20 steers a year do to over crowding, lack of water, and lack of shelter. It's horrible to drive by and see the animals treated like that. They have a girl my age that shows in 4-H and I tried to reason with her about proper care, but they dont give a da--...ng. It just makes me mad about the way they treat their cattle. Is there anything that I could do to either talk some sense into them or serve them some consequences by law?
Thanks,
Karlie

karlie45":27zf2zxz said:
A feedlot across town loses a good 20 steers a year do to over crowding, lack of water, and lack of shelter. It's horrible to drive by and see the animals treated like that. They have a girl my age that shows in 4-H and I tried to reason with her about proper care, but they dont give a da--...ng. It just makes me mad about the way they treat their cattle. Is there anything that I could do to either talk some sense into them or serve them some consequences by law?
Thanks,
Karlie

Animal abuse? i think that wouil dfall under that law.

Pretty tough for a feedlot to make money if they do not feed, water and maintain cattle?

If they are in business they are not likely mistreating the animals.

Beware of judging just because someone does things different than you.

There is a mortality rate that goes with feed lots. Deads do not always mean maltreating. If there is 500 animals in the lot - that is 4% - perhaps a bit high - but not unheard of.

Livestock means deadstock.

Bez>

I'm sure local law enforcement has seen what you have, so unless it can be considered a health hazard, probably not.

I used to drive by a dairy that had dead cows out in it, it seemed like all the time. It was nasty...and if I'm remembering correctly, my Daddy and some other dairymen started talking about it...and the next thing I knew the dead cows were gone, and the dairy closed up it's business. I have no idea what happened...I asked and was told not to worry about it.

If this feedlot's reputation begins to suffer from this kind of neglect, it might get their attention...especially if it affects their pocketbooks. Why don't you ask around and see if anyone else feels the same way you do?

Alice

Karlie, you sound like a very caring person.
I am wondering how big is this operation? Just guessing, how many animals would you say they have there? When do they bring in new animals? Do these dead ones appear after a truck makes a delivery? If this is so it could be shipping fever. I am trying to see it as you see it.
Are these cows the same ones each day?
Cowboyup216 is right about country justice, but that gate swings both ways, make sure you are not caught in the middle.
If you do plan to go to the law get your ducks in a row. Write down each time you see dead cattle, how many (Keep notes on the color so you are not redocumenting the same animals), what days. If you see for a fact that there is no water record it.
Alice is right and talk to your neighbors.

I luv herfrds":12uif6q4 said:
Karlie, you sound like a very caring person.
I am wondering how big is this operation? Just guessing, how many animals would you say they have there? When do they bring in new animals? Do these dead ones appear after a truck makes a delivery? If this is so it could be shipping fever. I am trying to see it as you see it.
Are these cows the same ones each day?
Cowboyup216 is right about country justice, but that gate swings both ways, make sure you are not caught in the middle.
If you do plan to go to the law get your ducks in a row. Write down each time you see dead cattle, how many (Keep notes on the color so you are not redocumenting the same animals), what days. If you see for a fact that there is no water record it.
Alice is right and talk to your neighbors.

Write down each time you see dead cattle, how many (Keep notes on the color so you are not redocumenting the same animals), what days. If you see for a fact that there is no water record it.

Excellent advice. One thing I've learned...document, document, document.

Alice

oh my goodness that is sssoo sad! i dont think i could stand it having to see that. i dont know what to tell ya cuz if it was me on one hand i'd be like..i dont wanna get into it but then on the other i'd be like gosh i've gotta do something about it. but i would look into laws and stuff and then decide about what to do.

karlie45":tvfuj2b4 said:
Thanks,
Karlie

I'm curious as to how you know there is no water simply by driving by, as your post states. Another thing I'm curious about is what do you consider overcrowding? Might it be possible that this is a case of, since the animals in question are not being housed/penned in a manner you deem appropriate, that they are being 'abused'?

msscamp":2757hpj3 said:
karlie45":2757hpj3 said:
Thanks,
Karlie

I'm curious as to how you know there is no water simply by driving by, as your post states. Another thing I'm curious about is what do you consider overcrowding? Might it be possible that this is a case of, since the animals in question are not being housed/penned in a manner you deem appropriate, that they are being 'abused'?

Msscamp has asked some valid questions. They might have a spource of water that you are not aware of when you think the tank is empty.

Like Bez said, a feedlot wouldnt be in business long abusing its animals. They make their profit based upon fatting them up which requires them to stay healthy.