Prolapse

Help Support CattleToday:

TN Cattle Man

Reaction score
Out checking cows this morning and saw #118 (8 yo Black Baldie) with a vaginal prolapse. Brought her up to the working pens to see if there was anything I could do for her... everything was pretty much frozen up and seemed impossible to push back in. Made the decision to call the butcher and have her ground up for burger (knowing that she wouldn't have brought anything at the sale barn if she would have lived long enough to make it there). Her calf was weaned off of her back in the Fall and she was just living the good life... good hay, good mineral, etc.. I would have to check to see when her due date would have been but she was in the Spring herd that wouldn't have started calving till late Feb. Just kind of stumped as to what would have caused her to prolapse... Slip and fall in the snow and ice? Any ideas?

Vaginal prolapses are often a heritable condition, good chance it wasn't anything that caused it other than a weakness she inherited.

No need to look for an excuse. Now I would identify any of her descendants in the herd and send them packing at the earliest opportunity as well.

Maybe just too fat? And even starting calving late Feb she would have probably been heavy bred, which compounds the issue. Too bad you couldn't push it in enough for a couple stitches & get another calf out of her. Agree with sale barn prices for cull cows - I'm keeping some I planned to sell, at least long enough for another calf or prices go up.

Latest posts