prolapse, waiting to happen?

Help Support CattleToday:

Dee

Reaction score
I have a first calf heifer that had an #84 heifer calf on the 6th of March. Had to pull it, as she is a little on the fat side. Fairly easy pull, and she cleaned with in a few hours. Today she was laying in the lot with about 3 or 4" of her rectum hanging out, and a bubble of light colored flesh showing from the vagina. When she stood it all went back in. Eating, drinking, and seems fine. Is this anything to worry about? I am unsure, since the only time I have seen a prolapse is right after calving, not almost 20 days later.

I had a caouple first calvers last year that prolapsed, it was out and never went back in. Long story short, had them stitched, planned on selling them, forgot their #'s, re bred them, and they both calved fine.

Dee":2oq1nudm said:
I have a first calf heifer that had an #84 heifer calf on the 6th of March. Had to pull it, as she is a little on the fat side. Fairly easy pull, and she cleaned with in a few hours. Today she was laying in the lot with about 3 or 4" of her rectum hanging out, and a bubble of light colored flesh showing from the vagina. When she stood it all went back in. Eating, drinking, and seems fine. Is this anything to worry about? I am unsure, since the only time I have seen a prolapse is right after calving, not almost 20 days later.

Are you saying its an anal prolapse if it is, it can be fixed with some pvc pipe. Know this aint purty but it works. I have seen this before it has nothing to do with calving but from being constipated ans to much straining from to much protien.

I don't think I am brave enough to perform the PVC pipe surgery myself, so she is going to the vet tomorrow at 8 am. Are you serious about the too much protein thing? My boyfriend told me weeks ago to quit giving her cake, since she gets a good mixed ration, and has a 30% tub, but I insisted she likes cake. I emptied my pockets tonite, that is the last cake for her! She doesn't appear constipated, but she needs to shed a few pounds anyway! But share your PVC pipe instructions, incase I get brave at some other point. Does it stay in for good, and can you rebreed them?

If a cow prolapes once ( uterus and vagina out) will she do it again? Vet said she would and to get rid of her.......just wondering about others experiences. Her calf had to be pulled and she was laying on her side all day while we were at work.....would she have prolasped it she had been set up?

Dee":2m20r3ni said:
I don't think I am brave enough to perform the PVC pipe surgery myself, so she is going to the vet tomorrow at 8 am. Are you serious about the too much protein thing? My boyfriend told me weeks ago to quit giving her cake, since she gets a good mixed ration, and has a 30% tub, but I insisted she likes cake. I emptied my pockets tonite, that is the last cake for her! She doesn't appear constipated, but she needs to shed a few pounds anyway! But share your PVC pipe instructions, incase I get brave at some other point. Does it stay in for good, and can you rebreed them?

Here goes get a six inch piece of 1 1/2 inch pvc and two couplings, cut the pipe into 3 pieces. Now glue the pipe back together insert in the anus and tie off the hemoroid with surgical string between the couplings. The cow can still poop and after about two weeks the pipe will sluff off and the anus will be healed.
As far as to much protien I am as serious as a heart attack and that will kill you.
She will be fine to rebreed take her off the protien and put her on hay only.

Sincerely Your pompous Jerk Cattleman.

SusieQ":3bz0gtz8 said:
If a cow prolapes once ( uterus and vagina out) will she do it again? Vet said she would and to get rid of her.......just wondering about others experiences. Her calf had to be pulled and she was laying on her side all day while we were at work.....would she have prolasped it she had been set up?

Why take a chance ? After you wean the calf cull her .....

WORANCH":277am3xu said:
SusieQ":277am3xu said:

That's our policy. With prolapse it's one strike and your out.

Craig-TX

WORANCH":flirpll4 said:
SusieQ":flirpll4 said:

Anal prolapse is total different than vaginal. Vaginal is salebarn bound, anal is nothing but hemroids.

I had a cow last year that had a vaginal prolapse 3 weeks after delivering a stillborn. I always assumed if they were going to prolapse they would do it right after calving - not that long after. I was wrong!

Update....she did it again! I left her stitches in for 3 weeks per vet instruction, and everything was fine 'till today. Vet says we can stitch her again to buy a month or so for the heifer calf she has, that I want to keep. Or I can take her to the locker and have a bottle calf. What would you do?

tough call there. I assume it is a reg. heifer? you won't get much at the sale barn on a wet cow. Neighbor just went up north and brpught home 5 pair last thursday. One cow obviously never had a calf, but came with one. No milk and no interest in the calf, calf has no interest in the cow really wither. Probably not a good plan for you to follow, but obviously it happens. I would sell her unless that makes the calf un registererable by not being able to gett a proper weaning weight. Frankie? But definitely don't re-breed her. She has a major rear end problem. Good luck!

over the yrs weve had 4 or 5 prolapses and the vet did the 1st and from then on we would put them back in an sew them up and they would breed back an calve got a heifer that prolapsed now and sewed her up and she didnt breed back she gonna get culled if she did it again only thing tobe done is sew her up and cull her scott

We`ve had alot of cows prolapse over the years anal and vagal
and I would sell her because it will happen every year, those cows
always seem to get bred back. But alot of the times it`s
heredity so daughters from her will most likely prolapse, too.

Great input Gale. I was going to mention keeping her long enough to flush.

I, also have had my share of vaginal prolapses over the years. It seems to me that if they prolapse at some point after freshening, they will prolapse again before they freshen next time. When that happens, I put it back in and tie it with vet twine that is made to break when they calve. Unless one really pushes hard, it will stay until she tries to calve and then break on it's own. When the calf reaches 5 or 600 lbs the calf is sold as a feeder and the cow is sold for slaughter. If a cow prolapses a few weeks after freshening, be careful about putting her in a pasture with a bull after she has been tied up----it is possible for her to come into heat and the bull break himself while trying to breed her with her tied up---can ruin a good bull---prolapses are asking for trouble if you keep them

There's a difference between prolapse caused by dystocia & prolapse because of genetics. A hard pull on a heifer can CAUSE the prolapse, especially if she doesn't get up right away. I have had a couple over the years caused with hard calver & never culled her & never had a problem. Now, I'm not talking large numbers for stats, but I do believe that a prolapse caused by dystocia will never happen again if she doesn't have a calf that needs pulling. But, another note, if the calf needed pulling because she wasn't big enough inside, than I would cull her even if she didn't prolapse.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":1n233v9p said:
There's a difference between prolapse caused by dystocia & prolapse because of genetics. A hard pull on a heifer can CAUSE the prolapse, especially if she doesn't get up right away. I have had a couple over the years caused with hard calver & never culled her & never had a problem. Now, I'm not talking large numbers for stats, but I do believe that a prolapse caused by dystocia will never happen again if she doesn't have a calf that needs pulling. But, another note, if the calf needed pulling because she wasn't big enough inside, than I would cull her even if she didn't prolapse.
=========
Jeanne,

Good info. Do you know of/have a method to determine the difference?

Good info. Do you know of/have a method to determine the difference?

What I'm saying is that if you know that you had to pull the calf & she prolapsed - it's most likely caused by the dystocia. Or you find a heifer down & out & she has a dead calf laying behind her & she is prolapsing - she PROBABLY had dystocia.
If you're sure the heifer/cow had an easy delivery - and she prolapses - it may very well be inherited. Or she prolapses days or weeks later, probably inherited.
I never had one prolapse other than with dystocia, and I never culled them.

Latest posts