Beefy

Reaction score
Enjoy!
Picture250.jpg

Picture248.jpg

Very good photos Beefy.

How about some details about the cow.

Age, breed, calf size etc...

Can you elaborate, Beefy? Only prolapse I've seen in "real life" is a rectal prolapse, which this obviously isn't. What exactly are we looking at here (type of prolapse)?

milkmaid":2cpvjkqu said:
Can you elaborate, Beefy? Only prolapse I've seen in "real life" is a rectal prolapse, which this obviously isn't. What exactly are we looking at here (type of prolapse)?

I'll take a guess, perhaps a vaginal prolapse.

Katherine

Workinonit Farm":2s8gzv21 said:
milkmaid":2s8gzv21 said:

I'll take a guess, perhaps a vaginal prolapse.

Katherine
Not a very bad one I might add. Some of them really, really look impossible to get out or certainly put back.

its a vaginal prolapse. the peculiar thing is we had to pull this cows calf (dead) on Christmas day b/c its head was turned back and she was "fine" until she came into heat on Saturday. after doing a lot of heavy riding it started to flick out Sunday morning but would go back in. So she prolapsed about a month and 10 days after calving. Vet couldnt get here until Monday afternoon about 6pm and this is what it looked like by then. He said this one was a piece of cake. gave her an epidural in the tailhead and worked 'er back in. she spit it back out before he could get her sewed up though and tried a couple of other times but i was holding it in for him. gave her some dex and sewed her up with shoelace stitch. $103 total. Cow is 10 years old, 3/4 limousin and 1/4 brahman. calf was average in size maybe 75-80lbs but had its head turned back and she had likely strained herself pretty well before we pulled it. stretched muscles + whole lotta mounting and stuff can squirt out! did i forget anything?

Beefy,

I like your thoughtfullness to post that pic at noon (lunchtime), and follow up with such a vivid description.

That wouldn't happen to a mountain dew drinking beefmaster!

yeah, i figured i could put a "WARNING, nasty pics" in the subjectline too but i figured prolapse pics was self explanatoryily gross enough..
at least i havent made any crockpot jokes. yet.

I asked the vet about packing sugar on it. he said that the upper part that looks like a big pink bubble (i assume this is the vaginal wall you sometimes see when they get close to calving?) was mostly swelling and that the sugar would help to draw the swelling out some by soaking up the fluids that were dripping all over it. he also pointed out the cervix which is up in that brainy-intestine-looking part.

How about Preperation H? Stuff it back in as best you can, then smear PrepH on it to help the swelling go down. ??

Latest posts