prolapes

Help Support CattleToday:

Put sugar water in a spray bottle. And soak the prolapse with it. It will shrink it to the point you can work with it a little better.

sidney411":gpcdkb3r said:
I have never heard of putting sugar water on a prolapse, how does it work?

I don;t know how or why it works but it does. I was told it draws the moisture out of the swollen tissue. Had a heifer with a prolapse twice the size of a basketball, vet sprinkled sugar on it and a little later it wasn't much bigger then a softball. He then took an old large glass coke bottle (that he kept a supply of) used it to push the prolapse back up and sewed her up with the bottle in her. A couple of days later we cut the stitches, the bottle came out and she was good as gold. The other one he did it to died while he was sewing her up.
Unpleasent memorys there!

dun

sidney411":3c51bsbs said:

sidney411":3c51bsbs said:

Like Dun said...it simply reduces the edema in the prolapse and makes it eaiser to replace. I use sugar water because I also clean off the prolapse while the sugar is working its magic. Most times I am a one person crew here and drugs are my friends ;-) so don't forget the lidocane!!

Thats good info there Certified Hereford Beef. Have to admit that Ive messed with a lot of em and never did hear that or even think about sweetenin one of em up like a dessert. LOL But it is worth a try because Ive had trouble enough with some of those bad swollen ones that I have wondered about making fajitas out of em

sidney411":3laese3o said:
Sorry :oops: I couldn't help myself. It just popped in my head.

:lol:

kinda like me telling my wife... i had another calf today :shock: :lol:

jt

Latest posts