Progress and H119 yearlings

Help Support CattleToday:

OLF

Reaction score
Here's a couple of Progress steers. They've started on grain and will go to slaughter in 60 days.
P20_sons.jpg

801U.jpg

808U.jpg

Here's a Progress heifer.
810U.jpg

Here's an H119 heifer.
815U.jpg

H119 calf with her dam (Headliner daughter)
903W_6LET.jpg

Here are some replacement heifers (the blue tag is a steer)
Heifers1.jpg

Looks like the poll steer will be ready before the 60 days are over and the horned one might not quite be there after 60 days. Wonder what the horned guys would say after seeing these two? ;-) :lol:

Heifers look very usefull, interesting that the H119 heifer has so much brisket with very little cover over the top.

You do know that the extra white makes the worthless? ;-)

OLF,

Thanks for posting the progress stock, I used him on a couple of heifers this year, with luck I'll have one on the ground next spring. I like the looks of the polled steer, but would like to get someone with a sharper eye to critique him on both the positives and negatives.... critiquers feel free to PM me if needed.

BTW, nice looking, deep, 5 month old bull calf. I'm like you, just raised up a (now) yearling bull and some days he looks pretty good some days I wonder if I kept the right weanling bull.... but you can only cut them once and glue doesn't work. :D

Alan

KNERSIE":14qbbll5 said:
Looks like the poll steer will be ready before the 60 days are over and the horned one might not quite be there after 60 days. Wonder what the horned guys would say after seeing these two? ;-) :lol:

Heifers look very usefull, interesting that the H119 heifer has so much brisket with very little cover over the top.

You do know that the extra white makes the worthless? ;-)

I agree on the steers. Unfortunately, we are so limited on slaughter houses that I book in April for September and October kill dates, so when their date comes, they have to go.

The H119 heifer has always looked like that. Great length and hind quarter, but that's about it. She did scan well for REA and IMF, so I'll try to match her with a complimentary bull and see how we do.

I know the white ones are worthless, that's why they're still here, no one will buy 'em. At least they're a little darker than a couple years ago. Light red and white and I can't give them away. :?

KNERSIE":2q68n7l1 said:
She did scan well for REA and IMF

How did she scan for backfat and rumpfat?

815U (H119 Heifer)
Rib Fat - .15 (ratio 87) REA - 9.50 (ratio 107) IMF - 2.72 (ratio 108)

810U (Progress Heifer)
Rib Fat - .24 (ratio 141) REA - 8.60 (ratio 92) IMF - 2.89 (ratio 114)

OLF":3k46glzr said:
KNERSIE":3k46glzr said:
She did scan well for REA and IMF

How did she scan for backfat and rumpfat?

815U (H119 Heifer)
Rib Fat - .15 (ratio 87) REA - 9.50 (ratio 107) IMF - 2.72 (ratio 108)

810U (Progress Heifer)
Rib Fat - .24 (ratio 141) REA - 8.60 (ratio 92) IMF - 2.89 (ratio 114)

Is the .15 and .24 in inches?

IMF scores are very good

those steers are just about ready tobe butchered.you have some classy heifers an bull calves.

The Rib Fat is in inches.

Thanks bigbull. The steers look good, but we'll get some more meat and plenty of fat on them before they go in.

Alan, good luck with your Progress calves, I've been very pleased with mine. Don't worry if they don't look like much at first, they start to bloom around 4 or 5 months.

Latest posts