Problem with Ivomec Plus Injectable

Help Support CattleToday:

cowpunk'd

Reaction score
I decided to go with the injectable dewormer this year - I used the recommended 16 gauge 3/4 inch needle subcutaneous - I'm pretty sure all the dewormer leaked out of the injection sites within 5 minutes. I used two injection sites for each cow because I was giving over 10 cc per animal, didn't matter. Leaked out. Tried a 20 gauge needle on the second cow, couldn't push the dewormer thru it. I would really like to figure this out before I deworm the yearlings. I don't remember having this problem with the no name brand I used a few years ago. Besides trying an 18 gauge, anybody got any tips?

You may have answered your question 18ga i use dectomax inj with a 18ga needle tent the skin and aim it down. Havent had a problem so far.

I've been tenting the skin where the injection goes, then putting my finger over the injection site and pulling the needle when finished injecting. I end by rubbing the area and have never had any leakage.

16 or 18 gauge needle, 1 inch, pointed down, tent skin, front of shoulder blade, inject and if leaking, give the skin a couple of tugs to open area up for the solution to flow into. :cowboy:

I usually give wormer shots in the loose skin behind the shoulder where it joins the body. Much more skin available, a very active spot on the cow and no knots afterward. Inject downward and rub the injection site afterward.

Depending on the size of the cow, according to the label directions, the dose should be split into two injections in two different sites.
We wormed our with it a couple of months ago.

I'll try the 18 gauge and make sure there is lots of room in the tent next time. Thankyou for all the replies!

Not much reason to ever use a 20ga needle for anything you'd give to a cow. 18 and larger for most stuff.

Ivomec Plus? Are liver flukes a problem in your area? If not, you don't need the 'Plus'(clorsulon).

I know some areas of the country have problems with flukes, but I've spent 35+ years in veterinary medicine(and cattle production) in east-central AL, southern middle TN, mid-MO, and southern west-central KY - and have NEVER seen liver flukes in a cow. Have seen a single fluke in a pen-raised elk(no idea where it originated from), and evidence of prior fluke infection in a bison cow out of SD; that's it.
Would not recommend a product with a trematodicide for folks in non-fluke areas. Probably won't cause any harm, but not necessary.

Vancouver Island is very wet and we do have liver fluke according to my research though I've never seen one in any liver. I used the 18 gauge on the yearlings and tugged on the skin a few times and not a drop leaked.

Latest posts