problem with 3 mo. calf

Help Support CattleToday:

Juice

Reaction score
Had a 3 month old calf that was born on a bitterly cold day. Was picked up and pennned. The mother refused to nurse. Had to be present to make her nurse the calf. After about a month the mother finally accepted the calf. Seemed fine, however the calf started having problems with her hind legs. Took her to the vet and said that it was problems with tendons, not growing with her. Was put on medication ???? Another vet said he would not have prescribed such med. He shot her with another med. Did not make progress, would or could not get up, like her hind legs would not work for her. Calf was put down, and opened up. Was told that hind quarters were black and large blood clots were found. Would medication cause blackening, or was it a disease?

KNERSIE":3m39h0it said:
That sounds more like a physical injury to me.

I agree! Some medications if given in the hind quarters may possibly cause a blackening (not really sure) but the blood clots sounds like physical damage.

This may be completly wrong, but what about Blackleg? I know it causes bloodclots...

K2011":37o45m2g said:
This may be completly wrong, but what about Blackleg? I know it causes bloodclots...

No timeframe indicated except that two vets had the opportunity to try and treat it, but blackleg is a sudden death, usually very little if any noticeable symptoms, you just find the dead and usually very swollen animal.

KNERSIE":ak3qwk8j said:
K2011":ak3qwk8j said:

No timeframe indicated except that two vets had the opportunity to try and treat it, but blackleg is a sudden death, usually very little if any noticeable symptoms, you just find the dead and usually very swollen animal.

Yup!

Latest posts