Problem cows

Help Support CattleToday:

tamarack

Reaction score
What drugs do you use on cows that are cystic to bring them to heat i have been using Progesterone . Just wondering if there was anything better to use on those cows that keep getting later.

tamarack":gjb3orpn said:
What drugs do you use on cows that are cystic to bring them to heat i have been using Progesterone . Just wondering if there was anything better to use on those cows that keep getting later.
By the sound of it you don't have cows that are "cystic" just lactation anoestrus and that can be helped with better nutrition but to stir them into action synchronising them as Dun suggested or by using a synch protocol with cidrs which is progesterone as you suggested. When cidrs first came out their intended use was to get non cycling high producing dairy cows cycling and were used with oestrodiol and PG until the oestrogens were banned. In Australia we can still use oestrodiol in beef cattle so to answer your question the protocol I would use is cidr in with 2mg Ciderol(oestrodiol), pull cidr in 8 days and give PG, heat detect in 48hrs and inseminate those on heat which will be about half of them and inject the remainder with 1mg Ciderol and inseminate 24hrs later. I find it works very reliably for any anoestrus cows.
Ken

Latest posts