Prime Act

Help Support CattleToday:

They had the same bill in 2017, and I don't think it went anywhere.
I contacted the NCBA to their stance on it, and haven't heard back from them yet.

On a side note I like that a senator named Angus King from Maine is sponsoring the senate bill. :lol:

sim.-ang.king said:
They had the same bill in 2017, and I don't think it went anywhere.
I contacted the NCBA to their stance on it, and haven't heard back from them yet.

On a side note I like that a senator named Angus King from Maine is sponsoring the senate bill. :lol:
I thought Branded had that name in patent

Response from the NCBA.

48185397951_2da7b98562_o.png

No, TT, it is not a well reasoned response, though it is certainly well thought out. They are doing precisely what the claim they are not...which is protecting the large packers/processors. They are using their food safety rationale as a scare tactic, hoping that no one will use any critical thinking skills to see past the smoke screen.

1. They assume the premise that the Several States are somehow incapable and unable to establish their own safety and inspection laws that would essentially equate to the same level as federal requirements. Really....??? :bs:
2. All those small processors they claim to be protecting... A large percentage of small processors only have federal inspectors out of regulatory necessity and it costs them, and their customers, a boatload of money to do it. (will this bill) They will be able to revert to whatever their given state requirements will be if they are only selling within their states limits.
3. Any companies wishing to sell their products across state lines, will still be required to have federal inspections.

God forbid the citizenry should be able to wrench away any small measure of control over our lives and livlihoods, imposed by both federal regulations and large corporations.... :roll:

If you notice they say that it's unfair to plants that have to meet federal inspection. Kind of telling of their real thoughts.
Also they incorrectly state about there being 6000 plants, while the USDA only shows 2718 plants in the US, and only 881 of those being Federally Inspected in 2016. Down from over 10,000 in 1963.

sim.-ang.king said:
If you notice they say that it's unfair to plants that have to meet federal inspection. Kind of telling of their real thoughts.
Also they incorrectly state about there being 6000 plants, while the USDA only shows 2718 plants in the US, and only 881 of those being Federally Inspected in 2016. Down from over 10,000 in 1963.

yeah, that 6000 sounded way high to me

too many of the current regulations are aimed at protecting large processors (and don't do a very good job of actually protecting the public the way they claim - look at any recall, all voluntary and MASSIVE when it happens)

read some of Joel Salatins writings on regulations.

TennesseeTuxedo said:
I'd still prefer to trade with regulated food processors.

If you prefer to deal with a USDA facility, knock your socks off, that wont ever go away.
Where is anybody suggesting that there should be no regulations or oversight?
With what aspect of state level control do you take issue?

Why does the possibility of an actual local butchers shop frighten you? Federal regulations are the reason that trade is essentially non existent in this Country today.
Why do you trust a bunch of bureaucrats in Washington more than your state and local bureaucrats who are generally far more accountable to their electorate.

If you glance at who owns the plants, who owns most of the stockers and where said stockers come from, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out NCBA has thrown most of us under the bus and charged us to do it. When pressed several years ago they said that they support all beef... Not American ranchers, but beef as a product. It doesn't take a whole lot of smarts to start thinking maybe they're greasing their palms a little.

CottageFarm said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:
I'd still prefer to trade with regulated food processors.

If you prefer to deal with a USDA facility, knock your socks off, that wont ever go away.
Where is anybody suggesting that there should be no regulations or oversight?
With what aspect of state level control do you take issue?

Why does the possibility of an actual local butchers shop frighten you?
Very good questions and I hope everyone uses the aforementioned critical thinking skills to see thru the smokescreen being tossed up in that well thought out denial that is actually no denial at all.

Latest posts