Prices

Help Support CattleToday:

icandoit

Reaction score
If your going to build anything out of wood, you had better think about buying it now because the price of wood is already starting to go up. I'm building my house right now and were at the point of installing the trim and staircases and "WOW", has the price jumped. I would imagine just about everything is jumping in price.

Dick

icandoit":1jppdghc said:
If your going to build anything out of wood, you had better think about buying it now because the price of wood is already starting to go up. I'm building my house right now and were at the point of installing the trim and staircases and "WOW", has the price jumped. I would imagine just about everything is jumping in price.

Dick

You can bet on it. Last year before we got hit by two hurricanes 1/2 inch plywood was $18. Just before we got hit it jumped to $30 a sheet. It stayed that way until most had made their repairs after the hurricanes and then it went back down. With all the rebuilding that will need to be done in LA, and Miss., you can bet a lot of folks are going to get rich. Something sure needs to be done about this I think. Our Ag commissioner was on TV telling everyone that gas stations could not raise their prices unless they got a new shipment. 99% of the stations in my area jumped ~30 cents a gallon the day after. I was in one station when they got a call to raise their price. I asked if they got a new shipment and they said "no, the main office called and told us to go up". Our commissioner said they all "could be fined". Sure, I believe that. It's a real shame when people take advantage of folks in an emergency.

Flaboy,
You are correct. I understand it takes 33 days for the new priced oil to get to the pumps. I will never underdstand the instant upward prices..... when something goes tilt...within hours.

preston39":tcrjoosk said:
Flaboy,
You are correct. I understand it takes 33 days for the new priced oil to get to the pumps. I will never underdstand the instant upward prices..... when something goes tilt...within hours.

Yeah, they talked about it on the news last night. Saying they were investigating. Seems they always investigate and never do anything. Same thing happened during the hurricanes last year. They fined one or two stations (big deal). They also said the oil companies are now reporting record profits up 50%.

Crowderfarms":1gbyodb0 said:
It's a prime example of Supply/Demand. It's a commodity just like grain is.

It may be a commodity, but it needs to be treated as an energy purchase the same as electricity. If the electric companies were allowed to do what the oil companies are doing, it would be devastating. If the oil companies keep going the direction they're going, it will be devastating to this country also!

rwtherefords":1es9c21z said:
Crowderfarms":1es9c21z said:
It's a prime example of Supply/Demand. It's a commodity just like grain is.

It may be a commodity, but it needs to be treated as an energy purchase the same as electricity. If the electric companies were allowed to do what the oil companies are doing, it would be devastating. If the oil companies keep going the direction they're going, it will be devastating to this country also!
RWT, I know you gotta be a TVA customer like myself. Our rates go up 7% on October 1st. And we're about 99% Hydro-electric. Guess everyone has to get in on price increases.

Crowder, what you said is true, but the power companies aren't permitted to all get together and start jacking their rates for any excuse just because they want higher profits. We "demand" electricity, and supply is limited. But, when we're talking about an essential sorce of power (electricity), the government will regulate their increases. Why not have the same controls on fuel prices? Fuel is just as essential to Americans today as electricity. What if the TVA rate increase this October was 25% - 30%? That's what just happened with fuel prices.

Like someone else said on this board. You get headlines tonight and wake up to higher gas prices in the morning. Things don't change that fast justifiably.

rwtherefords":31170lfe said:
Crowder, what you said is true, but the power companies aren't permitted to all get together and start jacking their rates for any excuse just because they want higher profits. We "demand" electricity, and supply is limited. But, when we're talking about an essential sorce of power (electricity), the government will regulate their increases. Why not have the same controls on fuel prices? Fuel is just as essential to Americans today as electricity. What if the TVA rate increase this October was 25% - 30%? That's what just happened with fuel prices.

Like someone else said on this board. You get headlines tonight and wake up to higher gas prices in the morning. Things don't change that fast justifiably.
I agree. That sounds like a great concept. But will an idea like that ever be put to use.Guess its all about greed.And Government control, and lack thereof.

Latest posts