Priceless

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
Fella dropped by to see me and was hinting around about needing a handout. Got to poor mouthing and caring on. Said he really needed a job. Just couldn't find one. Asked if I knew where he could find one. I replied. YES, and told him just where to go to get the job. The shocked look on his face was priceless. He went on down the road to find someone else's heart strings to pull.

Well played! When we get "visitors" we generally have a to-do list of stuff we haven't gotten around to or don't want to do and amazingly they don't want to do it either - even for the $$$ they needed so badly.

I actually wasn't "playing" him at all. I thought he was serious about needing a job and I truly did know where an opening had come available just that day. It was a good job too and they would have trained him. I also knew where two other jobs were and these were government jobs but after seeing the look on his face I could tell he wasn't looking for a job, just someplace he could stamp his card so he could continue to draw unemployment.

And people wonder why a Mexican can basically walk into America without knowing anybody or even speaking English and find a job almost immediately.

This summer I tried to hire somebody to clear an old fence line and repair the fence. Offered $20/hour to all the sons of gals my age. Not a single one felt that was enough to be off his momma's couch and help her out by earning a little money.

Hired an 18 year old kid a few years back. The boy is always hanging around the feed store looking for work. He spent half the day telling me how hard he works. Paid him too much and never saw that hard worker again.

Buddy of mine owns an architectural firm in Albuquerque. Can't find anyone to stick around and finish a job. When these kids are put on the spot to actually produce they want a top salary and refer you to their graduate thesis.

It's the parents fault the majority of the time. Around here it's a full time job trying to make and keep the kids working. I'm sure most of us were taught to work, and also had a good example to follow.

Latest posts