Price.. please help

Help Support CattleToday:

Farmer Ben

Reaction score
Hi, l can buy some beef cross calves from a friend who raises replacement dariy heifers and breeds them beef. l talked to him today and here's what he said he had forsale
- 3 angus cross jersey all 2 wks old
- 1 Herefrod cross holstien wk old
- 2 limo cross holstien 2 days old
- And he also has 3 pure holstien calves
What would you pay for these calves???? l seen them and their nice.
l buy alot of calves from farms and the sale but mostly l only buy holstiens
but l went mind trying some cross and rasing them to around 600-700 pounds
If you could give me your opinion on what you would pay for these calves that would be great :nod:
Thanks, Ben

50 bucks each. And plan on taking them to at least 900 but more likely over 1000

I don't know where you are but i just came up without seeing them maybe 800 dollars for that whole bunch i buy alot of baby calves and around here good baby stiens have not been under 100 dollars since december. if i were you i would buy them wean them in two months and feed till the first of march that would work here but i don't know your market situation.

l come from the Toronto area. Beef stockers around 600-700 pounds sell right for around 1.70-2.10 per pound. Thats
why l was planing on raise them to about 600-700 punds
Thanks, Ben

The Holstiens here are down right on their ranging from 50-120 but before they went down they were 180-350
Thanks, Ben

what do you guys think about them angus cross jersey. :?: Would they grow as slow as pure jersey's do ???
Thanks, Ben

Farmer Ben":1p6frotb said:
what do you guys think about them angus cross jersey. :?: Would they grow as slow as pure jersey's do ???
Thanks, Ben

They would be good to butcher but slow growers. For comparison purposes straight beef bottle calves are still between $200-$300 around here. Don't get many steins through the barn but they have been around the $100-150 range lately.

There never is many beef in the sale barn down here maybe 1 or 2 and they do around 200-300. What do you guys think the whole group of them calves is worth. :?:

I'm not in the bottle calf business but I'd hate to give over $100/head for anything that young even if it was straight beef. Lots of people raise them with great success I just don't have the time or facilities to mess with it.

We are set up for calves and have MANY of them :nod:
Calves are pain right with this hot wheather, but l still have to keep buying
Anyway l asked him what he looking to get for the whole group he said $1100 :roll:
little high
What you guys think?
Thanks, Ben

Farmer Ben":3ezwifw3 said:
Yep l tought he was high l offered him 900 for all
You guys think $900is a fair price
From what I see around here, that's high -- especially when you have a mostly newborns in the bunch. $900 in USA dollars would make similar seller here VERY happy. I'd go with the $700 someone else suggested, but if you already offered $900 . . . . . . you set your price.

that's true but holstien calves range from 25-100 newborn and beef cross range from 120-250 newborn :nod:

I already said 800 for the whole bunch but had no information on your market or area. sounds like you know what calves are worth there so you should do fine.

My friend got back to me and said he'll take 900 and he delivering them plus their vaccianted with Force 3 :banana: :)

Glad to hear it worked out for you FB.
They're also 5 days older now, which will give them even more strength to handle to move to your place!

Latest posts