Price for cutting and baling hay

Help Support CattleToday:

AZAggie

Reaction score
I have a friend that is buying a place just about a mile down the road from where I live. I have all of my cutting/baling equipment at the house currently. He is wanting a price to cut and bale 40 acres of grass hay. I'm new to this, so I am not sure what the going rate would be. Any suggestions? I told him I would do it for a portion of the hay, but he's not sure he will have enough to get through the year, so he just wants to pay cash.

My second cutting run me $22.80 a bale. You can drive costs down a smidge if you ted and rake for yourself here.

Check at the local feed store or equipment dealer about who is custom baling in your area, then call them and ask what they are charging. I charge $20 for a 4x5 roll in SE Okla but across the river in Texas it is more like $22 to $25. so every local is different.

Workinonit Farm":3qwzfn5n said:
What size roll are you all quoting prices for? 4x4, 4x5, 5x5? Netwrap or strings?
They will be 5x5 net wrapped bales.

If there is a lot of hay, then YOU make more money charging by the bale. If it is skimpy 2nd cutting, then you make LESS money. My guy charges me by the acres for mowing & raking, and hourly pay for his worker. Then he charges a flat fee for the bales. So, bales are more expensive to me if the field is
Charges:
Mow - $16/ac
rake - $6/ac
bale - $11/bale net wrap hauled to my storage area
So, if I have low yield fields, bales costs me more.

I see you too are from OK. In south central OK I'm paying $26 if I get my preferred guy, $30 if I don't.

Latest posts