Pregnancy Testing

Help Support CattleToday:

TXBobcat

Reaction score
What is the best test, other than palpation, for determing if a cow/heifer is pregnant? I'm looking for some alternatives to getting a vet out to palpate, as I am not qualified myself.

In the past we have pretty much kept bulls out year round, but now we're trying to go to more defined calving seasons:
My situation is the following:
Put bulls in with cattle on 04-28-12.
Plan to pull bulls this weekend - they will have been out about 78 days with the cows
Wait about 30 - 60 days, then preg check all cows/heifers
Any cows not bred will be culled, and open heifers may be moved to the fall calving herd for another chance.

I've looked at the GENEX blood test, and it seems like the option I may try, but I just wanted to get some feedback on others experiences.

We use BioTracking with their bioPRYN blood test. It is very easy to use, wait 30 days after they should have been bred and draw blood from underside of the tale. Their website www.biotracking.com even has "how to" videos.

D's diagnostic in Cumby, TX. You can look up her website, she does the biopryn test. She is very helpful, and will get you the results the day after she receives your samples.

J&D Cattle":22dg7nj8 said:
We use BioTracking with their bioPRYN blood test. It is very easy to use, wait 30 days after they should have been bred and draw blood from underside of the tale. Their website http://www.biotracking.com even has "how to" videos.
& under the tail works even better................................

W-5":6vcx18cj said:
D's diagnostic in Cumby, TX. You can look up her website, she does the biopryn test. She is very helpful, and will get you the results the day after she receives your samples.

Ditto. I dropped off 15 samples at Denise's Sunday before last and she emailed the results to me the next day.

They are extremely accurate and the only way to preg check any cheaper is to palpate them yourself.

xbred":2dqithln said:
i wonder why blood from under the tail is any different than blood from anywhere else?
Vein is easier to see and hit then any other spot.