Pregnancy test questions

Help Support CattleToday:

susie

Reaction score
Hi!
I'm looking for help, advice, opinions or all of the above! I'm pretty sure my Hereford heifer is pregnant. She was AI'd on June 10, definitely she was in heat and haven't seen any definite signs of heat in her since then. Her and the other cow have been occasionally trying to mount each other and rough-house, but neither one stands. Assumed it was older cow in heat sine the steer was most interested in the older cow.. We used a CIDR on the other cow, with timed breeding, but she just came into heat, 19 days after she ( the older cow) was AI'd.
So now we're going to take the older cow to a bull, and leave her there 45 days or so. I'd really llike to know for sure if the heifer is pregnant, because if she's not, she could go too, since this bull is a heifer-safe bull. ( Not the bull I mentioned in a prior post, but a real nice Hereford bull)
So I tried to get a blood sample from the vein in the center of her tail, wanting to send it into the Lab, but I can't locate the vein.
At this stage, she's around 60 days pregnant. Should I be able to palpate to determine pregnancy? I've never palpated any cow so It seems like it would be difficult to learn unless someone could show me.

So my options are:

1)Assume she's bred, ship the cow to the bull
2)Have the Vet come out and palpate her
3) Have the vet come out and palpate her and check out the older cow to see if there is some reason she didn't conceive, while he's here, perhaps show me how to palpate and/or get blood from her?

I think I need a cow mentor !!

What would you guys do?

Thanks in advance,
Susie

Suggestions:

1. Have her preg checked to be sure. The vet should be able to tell at 60 days.
2. Ship her along with the cow to the bull so you'll be sure to get a calf.

id have the vet palpate the heifer. might not hurt to check the cow before you take her to the bull.scott

Susie...you could haul her to your vet...at this stage of preganncy her utrine horns are really deep into the body and
palpation is difficult unless you have spent alot of time with your arm stuck into cow's :x ....I wouldn't try it. From what you described I would think that she's settled...cows mount each other all the time...our boss cow mounts all the cows when they come in even when she's in her third trimester. Of course a gal could just be patent and see what Saint Paddy's day brings. Susie Mc

Send them both the bull. If she she is open, she'll get bred by the bull. Wait a couple of months after you bring em back from the bull, have the vet come out and palpate. Then you'll know. You will only have to call on the vet once this way.

I wouldn't recommend trying to palpate the heifer. If you're going to have her palpated, have the vet do it.

I agree with SF.Send them both to the bull if you leave them 45 days, they will have cycled if not bred, and taken care of. You shouldn't even have to have the vet. check them if you do that.

Milkmaid,

I don't give my vet the opportunity for error at 35 days. He or She would have to be real good!

Latest posts