Preg Testing

Help Support CattleToday:

jmatt7

Reaction score
My teacher just set an asighnment where we have to finfd out how cattle are preg tested and ArtificialyInseminated and What Equipment is used. So How is it done and what equipment is used

Hi, jmatt. Welcome to the Boards! Sorry nobody has helped you out, yet. Afraid about all I can do to help you is tell you which end to work on. You're probably looking for more than that, huh? Maybe some of our AI experts can provide you with some good info or links. How 'bout it folks?

I'm no expert, but I've observed a couple times. First, we synchronized with Lutalyse. Upon observing standing heat, we called the technician, who came at the calculated time, invariably at night. Of course, he had a tank which keeps the semen frozen. I don't know the correct terms for the tools, but if I remember right, the straw was inserted through a tube which was inserted in the appropriate area. This was after he put on rubber glove and reached into the rectal area and pulled out gobs of poop, as the instrument had to be guided by feeling through the rectal area. Just getting a heifer in strong heat into my makeshift little chute that I had back then was a chore.

It has been awhile, so I may have forgotten some details. I tried to keep the description sanitary.

We were unsuccessful with AIing. I bought the Hazlett bull, who went to work checking out the girls as soon as he stepped out of the trailer after his three hour ride in the middle of July. Within two weeks they were all bred. No more getting up in the middle of night checking on the progress when I had to go work ten hours the next day. He followed them around the pasture tirelessly for two days leading up to the time they would actually come into heat. I guess he could tell they were fixing to. I agree with some of the oldtimers who say that a bull actually brings the cows into heat with his various procedures.

One heifer whom we never could be sure if the Lutalyse brought her in was the first one he bred! We were actually not sure if she was cycling, but he knew! Good luck in your search.

jmatt-welcome. Try putting something like artificial insemination of beef cattle into google. You should get several hundred hits that are usable,including,I would think, good pictures. :shock: :eek: Any way at least way more than you need to complete your assignment. Same with preg checking. Good luck.

we A I twice a year . we raise replacement hiefers. and bulls/ the system is pretty simple, when you go in the rectal opening you fell for the utrus. the straw you use has the seman in it. the utrus has three rings inside you pass the straw through the three rings . you are then then into the horns. this where you put the seman. hope this was some help.

endebt":371cn9xf said:
we A I twice a year . we raise replacement hiefers. and bulls/ the system is pretty simple, when you go in the rectal opening you fell for the utrus. the straw you use has the seman in it. the utrus has three rings inside you pass the straw through the three rings . you are then then into the horns. this where you put the seman. hope this was some help.

I think you meant their are three cervix rings, instead of the Uterus rings. Also I think it is best not to get into the Uterine horns, but rather to deposit the semen just inside the Uterine. That way the Semen can find its way up both Uterine horns. If you deposit in one horn it may be the one without the egg, plus you take a chance of doing damage. Hope I explained that ok. Welcome to the board! :cboy:

Rod

ummmm....no offense to anyone who answered but i agree w/Chuck. try a "google search" for artificial insemination cattle palpation to get the proper terminology for the equipment used as well as the anatomy of the cow.

jmatt7

If you live in a rural or semi rural area you should contact one of your local vets. Most (though not all) are very willing to teach an interested young student. Having it explained clearly, then seeing it done, maybe even pulling on the shoulder length gloves, is the best way to learn and understand it. Good luck.

Thankyou to everyone who replied the info was a real help. I did end up having a go at preg testing a few cows while I was doing work experience at a local veterinary surgery as I am holidays.

Latest posts