Preg. checking

Help Support CattleToday:

tncattle

Reaction score
An older man I've become friends with wants me to preg. check one of his cows. I got certified 5 years ago to AI but haven't practiced that in years since I lost my land lease and have no cattle. He has 20 cows and good facilities, I've been helping him with giving shots and just whatever he needs done. I haven't preg. checked any cow before ever. I've watched the videos and read everything but with no hands on experience I don't think I'll be very effective although it seems to be doable especially if the cow is heavy bred. Advice? Should I not do it? I want to if that means anything.

He probably is aware of your experience level, and we all started some time. Go ahead, and do it. You could also blood test them for next to nothing per head. That would be a sure way not to make a mistake.

Bigfoot":1vf0wpcd said:
He probably is aware of your experience level, and we all started some time. Go ahead, and do it. You could also blood test them for next to nothing per head. That would be a sure way not to make a mistake.

You're right, he knows my experience level so I'm not sure why he wants me to other than he might have more confidence in me than I do myself- :???:

I A I several wouldnt think of preg checking for someone maybe i could do it but the blood check is 3 bucks pretty accurate if you miss just one it may cost the guy a whole yr on an open cow. You do have to start somewhere for sure but id back it up with a blood test, theres times from like 3 to 6 months my vet doesnt even like to do them(may be off on the times) he says there over something and hard to feel and he does alot of cattle. so if there open and you miss you cost a calf if there bred and you miss the cow goes to town as a bred.

tncattle":305w7mq9 said:
An older man I've become friends with wants me to preg. check one of his cows. I got certified 5 years ago to AI but haven't practiced that in years since I lost my land lease and have no cattle. He has 20 cows and good facilities, I've been helping him with giving shots and just whatever he needs done. I haven't preg. checked any cow before ever. I've watched the videos and read everything but with no hands on experience I don't think I'll be very effective although it seems to be doable especially if the cow is heavy bred. Advice? Should I not do it? I want to if that means anything.

Other than finding out if they're pregnant what are his plans for them after you finish?? Let them stay around with the bull or something else?

I'll find out more tomorrow as he has two cows he wants me to give shots of LA 300. He consulted the Vet and this is what they said to do, something about the cows hooves or something. As far as the blood test goes, do we need to draw the blood and take it to the Vet I assume? How do we transport the blood?

Hey BSE, I still have your knife you left with me by accident if you PM me your address I'll mail it to you.

He's been doing this as a hobby for about 15 years. Another friend of mine sold him a bull about 5 years ago, then we moved to his area 16 months ago. I've been helping him whenever can and talking to him about changing some things if he wants to. He keeps the bull in yr. round and holds onto cows to long sometimes. This cow has already gone 3 months too long, I think she needs to go and he needs to shoot for a tighter calving window by obviously not leaving the bull in yr. round. He's a real good guy and I just enjoy helping him. I wish he would let me have some cows with his but that's a touchy subject and I haven't felt like there has been a time to bring that up.
He has 60 acres of flat, river bottom grass in very good condition as he keeps it up and takes good care of it. It's cross fenced into 3 sections all about 20 acres. If he wanted he could add 10-15 more cows easy as they can't even make a dent in the grass now. But it's his land and I'm not going to try and push him into something, I'll occasionally throw out hints but that's it at this point.

I just did the same thing for a friend. He brought the cow over. Ran her though and checked her out. Found a size able cyst on her cervix but also found an early pregnancy. Maybe 50 days. That matched up with his time she was with the bull. But since I'm not that good with early pregnancies I ran a blood sample to be sure. And she was.
So, I would glove up, get some experience and back it up with a sample.