Preg checking

Help Support CattleToday:

Double R Ranch

Reaction score
I have been reading up on how to preg check for several years. I have put it off doing it myself for years and have paid a vet to do it. I am tired of spending the money on the vet for something that I should be able to do. Plus it is getting harder and harder to get him out here. I don't need to know how far along they are just that they are pregnant.
I tryed it today on cows that I know are pregnant but I am not sure that I was very successful at feeling the fetus.
Anyone do there own preg checking? Would like some advice if anyone has any.
Thanks

Double R Ranch":2zpt6j0z said:
I have been reading up on how to preg check for several years. I have put it off doing it myself for years and have paid a vet to do it. I am tired of spending the money on the vet for something that I should be able to do. Plus it is getting harder and harder to get him out here. I don't need to know how far along they are just that they are pregnant.
I tryed it today on cows that I know are pregnant but I am not sure that I was very successful at feeling the fetus.
Anyone do there own preg checking? Would like some advice if anyone has any.
Thanks

Go to AI school for the anatomy training. You need to "Visualize" what you are feeling for.

Practice makes perfect!

Double R,
This has been stolen from a good friend who is an embryologist. It was posted on another forum and some of you may recognize it.
This post runs thru my head everytime I preg check. Hope it helps. Terry is a little colorful but a good guy. You should hear this explaination on the phone!!!

It (uterus)will be larger than a basketball at 3.5 months, with the fetus being about the size of a squirel -- give or take a few ounces. The technical way to tell is to judge the size of the cotiledons, which for some reason I have never been worth a hoot at!!!! hehehe So I do it the old fashion way, at least for me it is!

Around the 4th month, the cervix will still be sticking up over the pelvic, but will be large and very soft. It will feel very heavy if you try and pick it up, of course there is a couple gallons of fluid hanging from it, no brainer there huh?? The fetus at this point will be in the size of an average cat - again, give or take some!

At about the 5 month stage, you won't be able to actually get to the calf, but may still be able to feel his head. The calf now will be the size of a small dog, head about like a medium cantalope! Pretty techy stuff here huh?? heheh

Don't take all this to heart, like I said, I am pretty western, so I would like to have one of the Vets who frequent this great web site fill in the gaps here. I also have one other thing I do, if I know for sure they are going to be in the 3-4.5 month stage at the long side, and down to 60 days bottom, I will go in with a flat hand and gently BOUNCE them. Yup, you read it right, kind of like a ball. If they are around that 3.5 month period, they will give easily to a tap, and come right back up for more!! I know that sounds goofy, but it works, lots of times I am in the cows less than 10 seconds, NEXT!! hehe

Storey's guide to raising beef cattle has a small section on how to preg. check, even with illustrations.

Last year we had a heifer that when the vet slipped his arm in, he said that she would never get pregnant due to a problem with her uterus, so we changed her zip code. That's what I would worry about if I did my own checks; not having the knowledge to know when a "medical condition" exists.

Preg check and bull BS exams might be the only thing you can get return on from a vet. 1-8 dollars a head it is worth it.

Scotty

A few years ago, I took an AI/Palpation Course, week long deal, cost around $500 but worth every penny. Not only do you learn how to palpate and AI, they also cover alot of nutritional stuff, feed, hay, minerals etc. My advice is take a class. Nothing like having an experienced instructor as your guide while your actually in there palpating.

Easy method is to run a fall and a summer herd. Just turn a yearling bull in with the "off" group and he will not only preg check every cow in the field for free, but he will fix the problem if you have an open one. I know many are in areas that think don't work well with fall calving - but these are the same folks that calve in January / Feb and think they are Spring calving (can we say Winter?). Another benefit of fall calving and summer calving is to cut your bull power in half - the bulls works 120 days rather than 60 days.

Denoginnizer - If you are too rough when the fetus is small you can damage the fetus and it will abort.

Double R,
If you turn your bulls in with the cows in May or June and wean in October or November like we do your cow will be 5 month along. It is easy to feel the calf at that stage. The best way to get a feel for it is if you know someone that can give you pointer it really helps. I am completing an AI and preg testing class at Washington State Univ. this fall and I'm now able to tell if a cow is bred when they are 70 days alone. It just takes time to get a feel for it. Before I took the class i was able to feel the calve when they were six or seven month along. If you do a goodle search there are some good websites.

Bobg

Even vets that preg check thousands of cows a year aren;t 100% accurate. Just something to think about

dun

Larry Sansom":1wovl3dg said:
I know many are in areas that think don't work well with fall calving - but these are the same folks that calve in January / Feb and think they are Spring calving (can we say Winter?). Another benefit of fall calving and summer calving is to cut your bull power in half - the bulls works 120 days rather than 60 days.

For us spring starts in February, but splitting the bulls work does make sense for some operations.

I had a group of 15 heifers preg checked last week. This was the first time the practice sent this particular vet out to me. She called one of the first heifers in the chute open. I made a comment about being surprised, since I had seen the bull breed her early and never saw heat again. She stuck her arm back in and said, "I found it, she's about 4 months along." She called 3 more open, but I don't think I'll be sending them to the sale anytime soon. And I don't think I'll be getting her back to do any preg checking either!

We started to bleed cows for preg ck. this year. This way i can do it when i need to and not have to wait on someone else. This is a blood sample that is mailed in. I did 50 head, the company is 97% acc. iIfigured the price and it worked out to $3.33 per head. A lot cheaper than a vet .

Bobg":13du2r7m said:
I am completing an AI and preg testing class at Washington State Univ. this fall and I'm now able to tell if a cow is bred when they are 70 days alone.

After one class you are accurate to 70 days? I know vets with 10 year under their belts that can't do that consistantly.
Pretty optomistic don't you think? Guess maybe I need to go to that class.

certherfbeef":14yh0mvi said:
Bobg":14yh0mvi said:
I am completing an AI and preg testing class at Washington State Univ. this fall and I'm now able to tell if a cow is bred when they are 70 days alone.

After one class you are accurate to 70 days? I know vets with 10 year under their belts that can't do that consistantly.
Pretty optomistic don't you think? Guess maybe I need to go to that class.

I have them off 6 months. Sad. I don't use her anymore.

Scotty

endebt":2ou26l6f said:
We started to bleed cows for preg ck. this year. This way i can do it when i need to and not have to wait on someone else. This is a blood sample that is mailed in. I did 50 head, the company is 97% acc. iIfigured the price and it worked out to $3.33 per head. A lot cheaper than a vet .

How many days serviced do they need to be?

Do you have a link to the company's site?

How long did it take to get the results?

dun":wfeicmgp said:
Even vets that preg check thousands of cows a year aren;t 100% accurate. Just something to think about

dun

Isn't that the truth! The last time we had the bunch preg-checked, the vet said half of them were open. Those 'open' critters sure did have nice calves the following spring! :D

I also have had the vet preg open and then months later they had calves. I to am very interested in the blood work preg checking!!!! SHARE!!!!!!!!!
Thanks for all the info. I am almost sure now that I was feeling a baby.

Latest posts