Preg checking after A.I.ing

Help Support CattleToday:

scvfd_7241

Reaction score
What kind of peg check do you use after ai'ing, blood test, palate, ultrasound, or other? What's your reason for your choice.

I like ultrasound, less risk of causing it to slip not that there is much risk and can go in quite early on. But i also think a blood or milk test is easy to do followed up at 60 days by ultrasound so can sex the calf. Some breeders seperate cows at this stage to a paddock of cows carrying heifers and a paddock for bulls.

I like the ultrasound . Been using it for the past 3 years. Accurate on days Bred and when they can sex it they are usually right. One of the best things is they can identify twins so there isn't any surprises.

Never used any the blood tests or anything because I usually don't get my preg checking down later than most anyway.

I check with a patch 17 days after A I, rebreed as needed repatch repeats 17 days after 2nd round bull goes in that day, stays 25 days. Ultrasound 30 days after hes gone. 40 head patches told the story was spot on at ultrasound.
If I only had a couple I'd blood test at 28 days, put a cidr in the day I get the results and there open

We time AI every cow/heifer one time and then turn the bull out for 45/60 days. We then ultrasound preg check everything about the same time we ultrasound (IMF/RE/Fat) the yearling heifers and bulls. It works for us since we run both a Spring and Fall herd. We are able to do one big weekend where we work everything. We like it better than traditional preg check as we feel it is more accurate, easier on the cow/heifer and able to get the sex of the fetus.

Thank you for the responses. I only have 2 at this time that have been AI'ed and they are in a small pasture in front of my house, so I did watch them and did not see either of them riding each other. Just debating an actual test im about 45 days from when we AI'ed now.

I'd blood test them now, only needs to be 28 days.
To me it wouldn't be worth the trip charge to palpate or ultrasound. Will only cost about $14 for everything to blood test, $6 for test $7 shipping. $1 for supplies

We do it the old fashion way, we just palpate but we also blood test for parentage so we're just wanting to make sure we aren't carrying a slacker. Our cows have to work or they get fired.

Gizmom

I started out having the vet palpate the cows but have found out that they are not as accurate as in the old days. I use to be impressed by how accurate my vet was on days bred since I AI everything so I know the breeding date. Once he retired the younger vets seemed to have trouble confirming pregnancy on anything less than 60 days and days bred would not be very accurate. I then started doing blood test on cows 30 days bred or longer. I did not care about days bred but rather preg or open before going out to pasture. They claim about 97% - 99% accuracy but I found that was not the case for me. I had cows palpated that tested open but I did not see coming back into heat and found that some were bred. also had cows test pregnant but did not have a calf the next spring. The last time I sent blood samples in, I collected samples on a Friday night to send out on Saturday. Had one cow that I collected in heat Saturday morning, but I sent the sample with the others anyway because I had the paperwork and check all ready to go. That cow tested pregnant. The last 2 years I have been ultra sounding. have had 100% accuracy on pregnant/open claims on my 25-30 cows. Had 2 cows this year that vet said had twins but both delivered single calf. he did say that one would probably absorb one calf because the fluid was cloudy and calf was smaller than the other. I have also based pregnancy on whether or not I seen them back in heat. That I only did one year. With all that said, I would probably wait until they are 60 days or longer and send blood samples in just because it should be more accurate and cheaper. Good luck

Latest posts