preemie

Help Support CattleToday:

whiskyb

Reaction score
Had a surprise today as the first of my fall calves was born about a month early. She was with the bull last March13. Still could'nt stand when I got to him. He has real short hair and probaly about 50 lbs. Feels more like a sack of flour when you pick him up. As luck would have it she calved at the far side of the mud bog. I brought her and the calf back into the barn and did get some replacer into the calf. Mom has very little milk and is usually a heavy milker. She had twins last year so I did check for a second one but could feel nothing, although i do have short arms. Don't really know what i expect anyone to say but it feels better at least posting. I always do anything possible to help every living creature survive. I hate when something like this happens

Thanks for listening,

Whiskyb

whiskyb":1apiocwo said:
Had a surprise today as the first of my fall calves was born about a month early. She was with the bull last March13. Still could'nt stand when I got to him. He has real short hair and probaly about 50 lbs. Feels more like a sack of flour when you pick him up. As luck would have it she calved at the far side of the mud bog. I brought her and the calf back into the barn and did get some replacer into the calf. Mom has very little milk and is usually a heavy milker. She had twins last year so I did check for a second one but could feel nothing, although i do have short arms. Don't really know what i expect anyone to say but it feels better at least posting. I always do anything possible to help every living creature survive. I hate when something like this happens

Thanks for listening,

Whiskyb

What kind of replacer did you get into the calf? In other words, was it dried colostrum? Can you milk the mother and get some colostrum into the baby? That would really be good if you could, especially with a preemie, altho I'm sure you know that.

I'm like you...I do whatever I can to help something survive...at least in the beginning. Good luck...I hope all turns out well.

Alice

It was a dried colostrom that I used. Itried milking the mother and only got a few ounces after 10 minutes or so. Quite an ordeal so it was. Momma is usually a kicker and she stood still the entire time. It was'nt as thick as you would expect for just giving birth. If she is premature and her system is lagging will it kick in now or wait the full term. I know the first milk is important but if it comes later is their any hope?

I'll keep you posted,

Whiskyb

whiskyb":2vcf4mdg said:
It was a dried colostrom that I used. Itried milking the mother and only got a few ounces after 10 minutes or so. Quite an ordeal so it was. Momma is usually a kicker and she stood still the entire time. It was'nt as thick as you would expect for just giving birth. If she is premature and her system is lagging will it kick in now or wait the full term. I know the first milk is important but if it comes later is their any hope?

I'll keep you posted,

Whiskyb

If it comes later, it sure can't hurt. And good for you with the dried colostrum. Do it again, each feeding for 3 days! Yeah, it can get expensive...and you have to weight that out...but... :)

And, please, keep me posted. These things can go south in a heartbeat...and when they don't, it's pure pleasure.

Alice

One more thing...if you have any vitamin A, E & D, give the baby a shot of that...It does help...

Alice

Alice":2h2951a0 said:
whiskyb":2h2951a0 said:

I'll keep you posted,

Whiskyb

If it comes later, it sure can't hurt. And good for you with the dried colostrum. Do it again, each feeding for 3 days! Yeah, it can get expensive...and you have to weight that out...but... :)

And, please, keep me posted. These things can go south in a heartbeat...and when they don't, it's pure pleasure.

Alice
I was under the impression they don't absorb colostrom after 24 hrs. If that's so why feed it for 3 days? Or are you just feeding it for added insurance? Just wondering.

edited 'cause I don't have my glasses on a screwed up :oops:

Alice

Roadapple":hbdevbz6 said:
Alice":hbdevbz6 said:
whiskyb":hbdevbz6 said:

I'll keep you posted,

Whiskyb

Alice
I was under the impression they don't absorb colostrom after 24 hrs. If that's so why feed it for 3 days? Or are you just feeding it for added insurance? Just wondering.

I do everything for added insurance...and because, when I was taking care of the calves growing up on the dairy, my daddy either kept the babies on their mothers for 3 days or he would have me feed the colostrum he milked out of them for 3 days. Old habits die hard...and it was a rare thing that we lost any calves.

Alice

Well 48 hours later and were still going strong. Stood on his own yesterday, good thing its raining as it gives me more time for spending in the barn

Whiskyb

whiskyb":3wx1yc8j said:
Well 48 hours later and were still going strong. Stood on his own yesterday, good thing its raining as it gives me more time for spending in the barn

Whiskyb

:D Alright!!!!!!!!!!!! Wish there was a high-5 emoticon! Please, keep the news alerts coming. I've been wondering about that baby. :D

Alice

while the window to absorb colostrum is 24 to 36 hours or so, it is also a high energy fluid with many benefits other than just the passive immunity....keep feeding it for sure.

Thought I would share a pic of our 30 day preemie calf. She came early the past winter and here is a picture of her around 7 months later. Hopefully yours will continue to do good.

Joy2.jpg

Friday morning and all is still good. Yesterdays weather was in the sixties, tomorrow is supposed to be around freezing with snow. I'm glad that I have them in a good part of the barn that is not too drafty. If it stays cold I will open windows slowly to climatize the little fella.

Whiskyb

Wooohooo! Each day is a better one, it sounds like. I'm glad the little guy has you taking car of him. :D

Alice

You may want to get the vet to take a blood sample from the mother to check for lepto or other diseases if it conveinient.Do have him or her do that if another one comes.Not trying to worry you but sometimes a premature calf can be caused by this and you can treat for those things.

mtncows":38dqjs3z said:
You may want to get the vet to take a blood sample from the mother to check for lepto or other diseases if it conveinient.Do have him or her do that if another one comes.Not trying to worry you but sometimes a premature calf can be caused by this and you can treat for those things.

Now that's a good idea...and one worth remembering.

Alice

You haven't said, is the calf sucking mom? bottle? or are you tubing? As the calf sucks her, her milk production will increase - especially if she is getting good feed. Any chance a twin was born dead out on the "bog" somewhere? Sounds very feasable.

Latest posts