Powder River Value Chute

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
The local Co-op has a Powder River Value Chute for a large discounted price. We do own the XL Chute, which is longer, and is a bit heavier, but I wondered if anyone owned the Value Chute and was happy with it.

A man told me that he knew one guy that broke two Value Chutes using them on larger sized cattle. Of course when someone says something as dramatic as that, and they still continue to manufacture the chutes, I can't help but think this guy makes it us as he goes.

So, anyone out there with any experience with the Powder River Value Chute?
Chuckie

Have one that I process mostly yearlings with. Only problem has been some broken welds on the rear gate. No big deal to repair.
Other than a couple of the welds, it has been trouble free.

personally i would not get the cheap econo chute.i talked to several of my friends that work for preifert before i got my chute.an they said if i was gonna get a chute to get the best money can buy.because econo chutes are smaller.so i bought the S04 chute.

I've got one. They'll catch calves below 100lbs and cows up to 1500. You can't work a bull with a really big head though. In my case that's not a problem. It's been a good enough chute.

shaz,
What kind of problems are you finding with the heads on the bulls? Are you finding that if they have a really thick neck, that the gate does not hold their head tight, or what is the reverse problem with the large heads?
Chuckie

Chuckie":1d9udlgp said:
shaz,
What kind of problems are you finding with the heads on the bulls? Are you finding that if they have a really thick neck, that the gate does not hold their head tight, or what is the reverse problem with the large heads?
Chuckie
The chute can't be in the fully open position or the animal might hit it squarely and it won't close. In that position the bull won't stick his head thru. I have to work big bulls in the alley which means they have to be really tame.

BigBull- Is the S04 the Rancher or the more expensive one? I am considering buying the Rancher as soon as I sell enough cows to pay for it, (ironic, I know).

Little Cow":2dbst3ll said:
BigBull- Is the S04 the Rancher or the more expensive one? I am considering buying the Rancher as soon as I sell enough cows to pay for it, (ironic, I know).
The Priefert S04 is the top of the line, the S01 is the economy model. We have a S01 with the auto head catch, we've had it since it first came out. Other than the bull not fitting (the 04 is 4 inches wider then the 01) it's done everything we've asked of it. But none of the cows are nutty, a 2 year old may get fractious at AI time the first time but that's it.

Latest posts