Potash

Help Support CattleToday:

hurleyjd

Reaction score
Here us a thought to ponder. Before potash was mined it was derived by leaching wood ashes to get the potash. Would this be viable today? Something to think about.

For mass production it would be cheaper to mine, but small scale people do it all the time, and might not know it.
My garden is also my stick and limb burning pile, never have to fertilize it with Potash, and the maters really like it.
Have spots in different field spots that are really high in potassium, which is because those were old burn piles from cleaning out fence rows.
If your wanting potash on your pasture, just burn your pastures, and spread ash over them, but it's not going to be as easy as spreading mined potash.

All the ash from the wood burner gets spread on the hayfields. Every little bit helps.

Everywhere I spread out ashes from burn pile left from logging/clearing, the grass grows like crazy. I sometimes wish I had some more to burn.

Part of what you are seeing is because 2 tons of wood ash is equal to about 1 ton of lime. Small amount of N-P-K also but very small amounts.

How would one come up with enough wood ash to cover a large area? Say 100 acres. And would this be feasible over commercial potash?

JMJ Farms":ly3jrgdq said:
How would one come up with enough wood ash to cover a large area? Say 100 acres. And would this be feasible over commercial potash?
It is available in some areas where there are power plants using wood biomass to produce electricity. That is the only way I can see it being available. I am just outside the area where I can get it but where they can the power plant pays someone to bring it and spread it. But the farm must have a plan for it. In VA that plan is through the Department of Environmental Quality I think.

kenny thomas":1gc35hsa said:
JMJ Farms":1gc35hsa said:
It is available in some areas where there are power plants using wood biomass to produce electricity. That is the only way I can see it being available. I am just outside the area where I can get it but where they can the power plant pays someone to bring it and spread it. But the farm must have a plan for it. In VA that plan is through the Department of Environmental Quality I think.

Thanks Kenny

Folks here use it as a Ca plus P fertilizer in the place of beet lime. It is said to be worth more per ton than lime because of the P content, but it has to be trucked from wood burning plants in northern parts of the state.

Have you seen a chemical analysis for wood ash from your area?

bball":3f4yv6wd said:
All the ash from the wood burner gets spread on the hayfields. Every little bit helps.

My fireplace ashes get put in the scalding tank for pigs :lol2: Every little bit helps there when scraping those hogs.

sim.-ang.king":33evtj44 said:
For mass production it would be cheaper to mine, but small scale people do it all the time, and might not know it.
My garden is also my stick and limb burning pile, never have to fertilize it with Potash, and the maters really like it.
Have spots in different field spots that are really high in potassium, which is because those were old burn piles from cleaning out fence rows.
If your wanting potash on your pasture, just burn your pastures, and spread ash over them, but it's not going to be as easy as spreading mined potash.
When I burned the big tree tops/limbs piles left from clearing this place, and then spread the remains of those piles out, the areas around those piles are the most productive parts of my place.

Stocker Steve":115hfe7h said:
Folks here use it as a Ca plus P fertilizer in the place of beet lime. It is said to be worth more per ton than lime because of the P content, but it has to be trucked from wood burning plants in northern parts of the state.

Have you seen a chemical analysis for wood ash from your area?
I have but can't find it now. Also was told recently that the place I knew that was doing this has stopped because of federal regulations saying they have to be responsible for it forever.

JMJ Farms":2ru6vown said:

I heat with wood and produce about 700lbs of ash per year so realistically that's not enough for 1/4 acre.

Latest posts