Post your 2008 Hereford show string!

Help Support CattleToday:

Chris H

Reaction score
I thought it might be fun to have threads specific to a breed for the 2008 show season. I'm starting it for Herefords, please add your Hereford show calves here. If you have other breeds, start a thread specific to that breed, thanks!

This is our grandson's heifer Maggie. She was born 6/1/07. He did use the shorter stick at this show, I think I'm going to have him use the next size up. Maggie got 3rd out of 5 in her class at the Buckeye Jr Hereford show on 6/22/08.
DCP_1608.JPG

Great idea for a thread, mine is still very green and has just gone on feed recently, (heifers last week and the bullcalves about three weeks ago) but will see if I can get decent pics. The heifers I'm going to show is very much the same age as that of your son so it will be interesting to compare.

I'll try to get a updated picture tonight of my heifer. I like the idea too, I could look at Herefords all day.

Here is Joe's March heifer. This was taken on 6/21/08, the same show as the first post. This day it was raining and very dark out, so the pictures turned out badly. He took 3rd out of 3 for showmanship, but he's improved a lot over the last couple months so I was pleased with his effort. This heifer was 5 out of 5 the next day for the breed show. We have some top-notch competitors in our state, so even though we took last I don't think we were an embarassment. Our heifers need another 100 lbs to compete, our heifers probably had the lowest body condition score in the show. They're bred now so I'm hoping they'll be more competitive in August.
Joe with Annie in showmanship:
DCP_1601.JPG

Rear view of Annie:
DCP_1602.JPG

Here she is. In this picture she's going on 16 months. The steer is right at 2 months. The lot I put her in is just mowed so she wouldn't stop eating. Let me know what you think.

HarleyJuniorPictures001.jpg

HarleyJuniorPictures010.jpg

HarleyJuniorPictures007.jpg

The heifer looks to be in good shape, ready to show. Is she bred? Have you shown her yet & how soon is your next show? I wish she would have had her head up but I can't blame her for eating!
The calf looks to have good bone, I can't really tell much more about a 2 month old.

Her first show is a week from tommorrow. I showed her last year but she was a only a couple months old. She is definitely getting better with age, which is what her mom did as well. She's been exposed to the feltons 774 son we are using and she was in heat 3 weeks ago. I haven't seen any signs of her coming in today so I'm thinking she took. As for the calf, I really don't have an opinion on him either. Still too young to tell exactly how they turn out, but I'm hoping he'll turn out good.

Here is a Manhattan heifer will will show as Bred and Owned. Her dam is by Kilo.
IMG_9658_1.jpg

IMG_9668_1.jpg

IMG_9661_1.jpg

IMG_9110_1.jpg

This heifer is B & O too. We are showing her at the county and state fair.
IMG_9098_11.jpg

Iowahawkeyes I really like your second heifer. Isn't the first heifer just a touch too straight?

Not impressed by the Kilo cow, she seems very hard doing for the grass that she's grazing or is there more to the story?

Thanks Knersie.
I think that first heifer will be alright, she walks out nice. I wouldn't say her mother is hard doing, not the easiest, but right in the middle. We had just turned out the cows when her pic was taken and it was a long hard winter. The second heifer calf will do okay you can't say anything bad about her, she's since shucked her hair but the new is coming in pretty good.

I've seen more than a few pretty Kilo heifers turn into not so pretty cows. She looks like she's doing a good job with the heifer. I do like that second heifer better, though.
We almost bought a Kilo heifer a couple years ago. The guy loaded her, got her to our barn, and decided not to unload her -- he took her to the salebarn! She was a witch to load, she kept battering the sides of the trailer; when he started to open the trailer gate and she charged it he slammed the gate shut and said she was going to the salebarn. He's an old friend and wanted to stay friends! :lol: He did keep a full sister who was a total opposite in temperment.

Here is the long promised pics, these cattle wasn't bred for the showring, but rather to be functional cattle. They will be shown in late September and early October.

The heifers has been on droughty pasture and has been on a finishing ration and better grass for the last 11 days. The bulls have been on feed for about a month.

May 2007 heifer, she'll turn into a very usefull cow, her neck and head is maybe a bit too rough for the showring

100_3543.jpg

Also a May 2007 heifer and a paternal halfsib of the above heifer, she'll probably turn into the better show heifer although as a working cow the above heifer will be my pick. She isn't quite in the same condition as the first heifer.

100_3553.jpg

The bullcalves didn't want to cooperate at all as there was a heifer on heat the other side of the fence. This 8 month old bullcalf should do quite well in the showring if I can just get rid of some of the hair. He is standing a bit close together in this photo with his hind feet, but as you can see in his front stance he is very wide and well muscled

100_3548.jpg

I'll try and get better pics of this bullcalf and a few others as well.

Any of those 3 would be welcome additions in our pastures. I really like that bull.

Really nice Knersie! Very functional indeed. Probably right about the front end on the heifers, but when you clip they'll look only better.

Not allowed to clip I'm afraid, our breed shows is just wash and brush, the reason being that we want to breed them to be really slick in summer to be more resistant to ticks.

Thanks for the comments, they'll look very different in a month or two.

KNERSIE":226isal4 said:
Not allowed to clip I'm afraid, our breed shows is just wash and brush, the reason being that we want to breed them to be really slick in summer to be more resistant to ticks.

Interesting. do you guys brush the hair forward or down normal. Nice calves. that first one looks great. the bull looks like he'll grow up to be a good sire.

We brush down, but usually the cattle are very slick at the time of the show so it hardly makes a difference. But then usually I'll have oats to graze to help slicken them up, this year I don't have that luxury.

All my cows I posted a while back are slicker than a whistle now. They had a tone of hair back then.

We are leaving Saturday for Kansas City Jr. Natls. We are taking 2 steers and will come home on Wed. night, only a 5 hr drive for us. I posted one of the steers somewhere on here....