Post-trocar treatment

Help Support CattleToday:

garyws

Reaction score
What wound treatment is recommended after using a bloat trocar? Seems to me that's a pretty serious invasion that needs to be treated with antibiotics. And maybe stiches after the procedure?? Just asking.

I've never used anything. When the cannula is removed when the bloating has gone down, the rumen will slide one direction and the outside hide will slide the other.

Should have had antibiotics when it was installed. Upon removal just unscrew it and try and keep the animal from getting bumped around. I like to keep mine tied. It will leak for 2 or 3 weeks after sometimes - you'll hear gas escaping, but won't see it seeping as much). But eventually heals over. Control its feed also so it doesn't reoccur.

Have one here, that was troch'd Dec 9th and its just sealed over in the last week. It was in for 2 weeks. Wash up the troch and it can be reused on another animal in the future if need be.

Supa Dexta":1iajzf6j said:
Should have had antibiotics when it was installed. Upon removal just unscrew it and try and keep the animal from getting bumped around. I like to keep mine tied. It will leak for 2 or 3 weeks after sometimes - you'll hear gas escaping, but won't see it seeping as much). But eventually heals over. Control its feed also so it doesn't reoccur.

Have one here, that was troch'd Dec 9th and its just sealed over in the last week. It was in for 2 weeks. Wash up the troch and it can be reused on another animal in the future if need be.

Thanks! Maybe it is a better idea not to suture the wound so it can leak the bad stuff as it's healing. Hadn't thought of that.

Its just not needed really. I'm sure you could, But the hole tends to be caked in dried slime and junk, and it would take some work to get it cleaned up and then sewn up. No doubt it would speed up the healing process, but I've never done it.

Supa Dexta":1xrhkjzf said:
Its just not needed really. I'm sure you could, But the hole tends to be caked in dried slime and junk, and it would take some work to get it cleaned up and then sewn up. No doubt it would speed up the healing process, but I've never done it.
For me the use of a trocar is a temporary thing, not a long term installation. As dun said, I simply use it, remove it and forget about it. Never had a calf with any kind of infection or other problem from doing it this way. Knife blades work just as well when you're in a bind and don't have the trocar handy.

Always did around 2 wks here, then removed - Just what the vets taught me.

Have read of one guy that left one if for like 2 yrs though???

Supa Dexta":wzxxl234 said:
Always did around 2 wks here, then removed - Just what the vets taught me.

Have read of one guy that left one if for like 2 yrs though???
That one would have left my place two years earlier.

Latest posts