Post Pounders

Help Support CattleToday:

artesianspringsfarm

Reaction score
Anyone have any experience, good or bad? I'm looking at doing cedar posts 8", 5-6' in to make my new corral and working system. I currently use an auger to dig my corner posts for hi-tensile, but its a real pain given our rocky ground and also they arent quite as tight as I would like until they are braced. I've always thought they look slick and would make the other 40 acres I have to fence a lot more enjoyable as well. On a related note, what are the pros and cons of building your system with Cedar and Hemlock versus buying all the panels to make a working system. Portability does not matter. Thanks guys

I do not have one for myself I want a post pounder but a man near me has one I asked him if it was ok for me to stop and watch him drive some posts to see how it worked in our area. I watched and was in awe as soon as I can find one thats reasonable cheap and used I will pick it up. He said it was probably the best farm investment he had made and saves time. I think since our soil is mostly sandy loam here its good but rocky soil depending on the rock sizes below may pose an issue.

True King. I guess my question on that is will it push them aside enough to move through all but the largest boulders. We have nice loamy soil, its just got a lot of rock. Secondly, Would it drive a 4" steel rod as a pilot to break up rocks and then the cedar?

I have a king hitter with a 16' mast and the rock spike you are talking about. It will flat drive a post and unless you get into solid rock over a foot thick it will drive it thru. In rocky soil it will push them thru but they will move on you that's why I don't use it on my board fences. If you can live with it being an inch or two out of line or plumb it will be fine. I have driven railroad ties into summertime red clay with it no pilot hole and with a sq. end. It does take a pretty good tractor to handle it on the back tho. Don't use mine as much as I thought I would but when I get a big wire fence job it is nice to have. If you have 8k and are up for a road trip I can hook you up! :nod:

Also as far as materials go is it red cedar? You have to know how to cut those for them to make a really good fence. Standing dead ones from big timber stands are the best. Panels are nice, fast and easy to set up but not as sturdy as one you build if done right. Sorry we don't have hemlock here in VA so can't help you much there.

SmokinM":19x31mhq said:
I have a king hitter with a 16' mast and the rock spike you are talking about. It will flat drive a post and unless you get into solid rock over a foot thick it will drive it thru. In rocky soil it will push them thru but they will move on you that's why I don't use it on my board fences. If you can live with it being an inch or two out of line or plumb it will be fine. I have driven railroad ties into summertime red clay with it no pilot hole and with a sq. end. It does take a pretty good tractor to handle it on the back tho. Don't use mine as much as I thought I would but when I get a big wire fence job it is nice to have. If you have 8k and are up for a road trip I can hook you up! :nod:

Also as far as materials go is it red cedar? You have to know how to cut those for them to make a really good fence. Standing dead ones from big timber stands are the best. Panels are nice, fast and easy to set up but not as sturdy as one you build if done right. Sorry we don't have hemlock here in VA so can't help you much there.

you selling yours for 8k?

artesianspringsfarm":28des9uk said:
Back off Sky! :cowboy: Where ya at Smokin?

:lol2: hes if I remember correctly about hour from me lol I'll race you there art :D Kidding I want one but don't need one if you know what I mean. I don't have any fencing to do just like to own one for when I do need to fence.

I would sell it just because I don't use it all the time and I have some places I would rather put that money. It is a nice machine just didn't fit into my business like I planned. I am about 20 mins. west of Richmond VA.