Post Pounders

Help Support CattleToday:

drl

Reaction score
How reliable are hydraulic post pounders? Do they work as well as advertised? If they hit a rock with the post will it stop or somehow get through? We are looking at doing a bunch of fence this summer and would like to save time over drilling out holes and filling them back in. We have someone local that has one but wanted another opinion. Will some do railroad ties?

they are as reliable as any hydraulic machine, and I think build a better strong fence than drilling.

Rocks can be a issue, mostly if you nit one smack on, or one that last minute angles the post,

Yes the heavier ones will pound in railway ties,

I had to hire a fencing crew to get an EQIP project completed on time. I'm just not up to fencing anymore and it's the first time in my life I ever hired it done.

The crew I got was very good and I would recommend them to anyone. They had a Wheatheart post driver. My ground is pretty hard gumbo when it's dry.

If I had got them to do the job last spring they probably could have driven the blunt line posts because there was a lot of moisture and the ground was softer.

As it was, they tried the pounder with the posts I had on hand for the project and splintered a few of them. So I bought pointed posts and those worked out fine. They did use the post hole digger for the corners and X-braces.

Several people in the fencing business have told me the Wheatheart post pounder is hands down the best on the market. Not cheap. I watched a used one sell at a sale for the same price of a new unit of another brand.

Around $9K for a self contained unit with Honda engine which is what my fence crew used. They just went down the fenceline pulling it with the pickup.

If you have access to a small hi lift (we use a 450 deere) it works good.Scoop of dirt in the bucket & pound away.We use the heavy crossbar that connects the two loader arms.I usually saw a V on the end of the post if its hot and dry.

Latest posts