Possible false heat?

Help Support CattleToday:

midtncattle

Reaction score
I have a cow I was pretty confident stuck to AI first week of May. I haven't had any sign of heat from her since AI. I sold her calf Saturday and have noticed the bull up with her. Not riding her just walking along beside her and at times away from other cows. Sunday afternoon, I noticed her tail head hair was brushed up. Could her separating from calf caused a hormonal change that gave heat signs?

We have not had that happen with us, but I have heard other ranchers talk about some cows coming into a false heat when they are around 5 months pregnant.

Check her and find out for sure. Could be she lost the ai calf early on, could be she wasn't cycling with a calf on her (most likely) and could be a false heat. False heat is possible since each horn is independent but not likely

Thanks for response . I will probably just wait and see when she calves. No major deal other then I really wanted a registered calf.

Wrong answer. No offense. For less than 10 bucks you can get a blood sample, ship it, get it tested, and find out if she is bred. Otherwise you carry her for a whole season without getting a calf. My .02

I have a heifer who sure seemed to be in heat a couple days ago after not being in heat since june... maybe she slipped it? I guess I'm going to find out

Hi All,
Found this thread and trying to get some clarification on "false heats." Here's the situation: Cows were synch'd then AI'd Oct. 8. We watched pretty closely 18-24 days later and saw a heifer ("Heifer 'A'") come back into heat. No others were seen in heat. We AI'd Heifer A on the observed heat. We thereafter had the vet preg check all of them about 2 weeks ago, and surprise surprise, a different heifer, Heifer B, was the only one open. She is healthy, about 18 mos old, give or take. We were surprised because we'd seen no heats on her since the Oct. 8 AI.

We started the synch again for her, then re-AI'd 1 week ago today, at which time the tech said she was definitely in heat and everything felt good and went well. He speculated that she could have been pregnant before but lost it; he said it happens often at about day 30 and so we may have missed a heat, when we weren't really watching that closely for it.

Well, yesterday I saw her trying to ride one of the cows (who moved away) and today she was very animated and even though it was bitterly cold, was trying to sidle up to one of the steers.

She is a nice registered heifer and I am really hoping they can sometimes show a heat a week into a pregnancy? Neither vet nor tech noticed anything amiss structurally...

Thanks!

I had all the cows checked. The one I had in question was in true heat the day I observed her. She came back about 2 -3 months bred. I really think she was in calf and must have slipped it because I had not seen any sign of her in heat. Just glad she is breed, even if not to AI.

Latest posts