Poss Deadwood Confusion

Help Support CattleToday:

simme

Old Dumb Guy
Reaction score
Anybody know anything about this deal? Poss Deadwood is an angus bull "sold" at their annual bull auction at Poss Angus in Nebraska Feb 5th. Video of the sale and sale results show that he sold for $900,000 to TK Cattle Company in Menard, TX. Poss sale catalog from Feb 5th states that they are selling "100% semen interest and possession" and that "semen orders have been heavily accumulating since last summer and will go along with the sale of the bull" and that all cattle sell under the terms and conditions recommended by the American Angus Association. Bull is apparently at a bull stud being collected.

The buyer TK Cattle had their second annual female sale March 20th where they auctioned 100 straws of semen on the bull. There were 20 lots of 5 straws each. Sale report shows that the total selling price for the semen was $223,500 for an average of $2335 per straw.

This past Sunday March 21st, a third party angus breeding and marketing consultant working with Poss Angus announced on his FB page that the buyer at the Feb 5th sale had not complied with the terms and conditions of Poss and the AAA. That the Feb 5th purchaser had been released from his purchase obligation and that the bull had since been sold to an angus outfit in California and then on Monday announced that 240 straws of semen would be auctioned off in the next few weeks followed by limited semen sales in the summer and fall. That no semen will sell after that for 2 years and that Poss would retain an annual allotment for in herd use. At least that is my understanding. I noticed that the text in the FB post did not match the video in the post in regards to semen availability in 2022.

AAA database shows today that the bull has not yet been transferred from Poss ownership. I suspect that people on the semen list that was passed on to the Texas buyer are upset. Not sure what happens with any semen that was purchased in the March 20th sale. Any of our Angus breeders have any insight and able to comment? Or mums the word. What went wrong? Is this a case of over extending or does the "what a wicked web we weave" saying come into play? Seems incredible to me. Not to mention looking bad. Suspect any deals that were made were not supposed to play out this way.

Anyone else following hoping for a little bit of drama here?

Political bullshit once again if I had to bet. These big bull sales have very little money traded. Someone got pissed off I'd assume and someone had to pay up.

I guess CT members aren't in the know, haha. I tuned into the auction last night hoping they would explain the situation to help temper the rumor mill but I didn't feel like they touched the subject at all.

The official statement by the marketing agent (CK6 Marketing) was that the terms of the sale (AAA) weren't met and the original buyer was released from the purchase and another ranch purchased the bull.

I've seen statements on FB that the bull wasn't producing, but I've seen credible individuals say that wasn't factually true.

The 20 lots (6 straws per lot) sold for between 1050 and 2500 last night (iirc). That is a "per straw price" and the lot was X6 -- so between $6,300-$15,000 per lot.

Again, that is from memory, but it's pretty close I think. If it isn't please correct me.

Anybody know anything about this deal? Poss Deadwood is an angus bull "sold" at their annual bull auction at Poss Angus in Nebraska Feb 5th. Video of the sale and sale results show that he sold for $900,000 to TK Cattle Company in Menard, TX. Poss sale catalog from Feb 5th states that they are selling "100% semen interest and possession" and that "semen orders have been heavily accumulating since last summer and will go along with the sale of the bull" and that all cattle sell under the terms and conditions recommended by the American Angus Association. Bull is apparently at a bull stud being collected.

The buyer TK Cattle had their second annual female sale March 20th where they auctioned 100 straws of semen on the bull. There were 20 lots of 5 straws each. Sale report shows that the total selling price for the semen was $223,500 for an average of $2335 per straw.

This past Sunday March 21st, a third party angus breeding and marketing consultant working with Poss Angus announced on his FB page that the buyer at the Feb 5th sale had not complied with the terms and conditions of Poss and the AAA. That the Feb 5th purchaser had been released from his purchase obligation and that the bull had since been sold to an angus outfit in California and then on Monday announced that 240 straws of semen would be auctioned off in the next few weeks followed by limited semen sales in the summer and fall. That no semen will sell after that for 2 years and that Poss would retain an annual allotment for in herd use. At least that is my understanding. I noticed that the text in the FB post did not match the video in the post in regards to semen availability in 2022.

AAA database shows today that the bull has not yet been transferred from Poss ownership. I suspect that people on the semen list that was passed on to the Texas buyer are upset. Not sure what happens with any semen that was purchased in the March 20th sale. Any of our Angus breeders have any insight and able to comment? Or mums the word. What went wrong? Is this a case of over extending or does the "what a wicked web we weave" saying come into play? Seems incredible to me. Not to mention looking bad. Suspect any deals that were made were not supposed to play out this way.

The semen is bad, 65 percent dead, only place to work is invitro, tk pulled out. For all the semen that sold in their sale for 500 a straw, thought more would have been raising H.

I guess CT members aren't in the know, haha. I tuned into the auction last night hoping they would explain the situation to help temper the rumor mill but I didn't feel like they touched the subject at all.

The official statement by the marketing agent (CK6 Marketing) was that the terms of the sale (AAA) weren't met and the original buyer was released from the purchase and another ranch purchased the bull.

I've seen statements on FB that the bull wasn't producing, but I've seen credible individuals say that wasn't factually true.

The 20 lots (6 straws per lot) sold for between 1050 and 2500 last night (iirc). That is a "per straw price" and the lot was X6 -- so between $6,300-$15,000 per lot.

Again, that is from memory, but it's pretty close I think. If it isn't please correct me.
He looks like a Maine Angus. That would explain fertility issues

The semen is bad, 65 percent dead, only place to work is invitro, tk pulled out. For all the semen that sold in their sale for 500 a straw, thought more would have been raising H.
I know nothing about Poss Deadwood, but I have heard some bulls do not freeze. With some bulls when the ejaculate is frozen it damages the sperm cells causing a loss of motility. Just have to keep cows under the bull all the time since he won't freeze.

idk... Can fresh ejaculate be used for IVF?? Could it work to have a bull breed flush cows??

I know nothing about Poss Deadwood, but I have heard some bulls do not freeze. With some bulls when the ejaculate is frozen it damages the sperm cells causing a loss of motility. Just have to keep cows under the bull all the time since he won't freeze.

idk... Can fresh ejaculate be used for IVF?? Could it work to have a bull breed flush cows??
DVAuction has auction closing 3/23 for 5 and 10 straw lots. Think I'll pass even if it was free.

For an unproven bull, in terms of genetics and what he looks like, for his level of marbling, I'm not aware of any other bulls like him.

1.90 on marbling

A lot of the Angus carcass people are just rich people that made their money from other things that don't seem to understand how to cross cattle and pick what bull to use based on the weaknesses of the cow.

This bull is a marbling bull that doesn't look like a cross country runner.

There's some lively discussion about Poss Deadwood taking place in the Facebook Group, Bovine A.I./E.T. Sires Discussion
I think you will have to join the group if you want to see the posts and the video.

A video was shared by Faraway Ranch, and the drama/name-calling ensued.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/240411990227142/permalink/1215509936050671/?mibextid=W9rl1R

Disclaimer: I've not used him and have no personal opinions about him. There are no verifiable markings that I can see that would prove the bull in the video is actually Poss Deadwood, so take it for what it's worth.....from the rumor mill.

There's some lively discussion about Poss Deadwood taking place in the Facebook Group, Bovine A.I./E.T. Sires Discussion
I think you will have to join the group if you want to see the posts and the video.

A video was shared by Faraway Ranch, and the drama/name-calling ensued.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/240411990227142/permalink/1215509936050671/?mibextid=W9rl1R

Disclaimer: I've not used him and have no personal opinions about him. There are no verifiable markings that I can see that would prove the bull in the video is actually Poss Deadwood, so take it for what it's worth.....from the rumor mill.

That FB group used to be far more entertaining than it has been the past year or so -- so I'm glad to see some renewed drama. ;)

Latest posts