porcupine quills

Help Support CattleToday:

Holmesfarm

Reaction score
OK this is our second time in three years that a heifer came to the barn with a face full of quills. she had about 30 in her chin
good quick pulls got them out ok but she sure didn`t like it. never seen a porcupine on our place,sure hope he moves on.

Even in places that they're fairly common you don;t see many, just he evidence of their presence. Barked conifers is what we used to see most frequently. I was told by an old timer that if you cut the end off of the quill it made them easier to remove, don;t know, never had to do it.

dun":3mew2wxu said:
I was told by an old timer that if you cut the end off of the quill it made them easier to remove, don;t know, never had to do it.

It does. A friend of mine's dog killed a porcupine. He had the quills in his throat and of course all over his head. He had to be knocked out to remove off of them. She said the vet cut them and said something about the air in the quills created a vaccume until they were cut, then they became like straws. My friend's other 4 dogs had a few quills which came out while the vet worked on Tueff.

Up in this country it's common for cattle to get porcupine quills. Cattle are curious and sniff then WHAM! a flick of the tail and a face full of quills. No doubt best to remove them, but on range cattle quills fall out on their own in a few days.

Chuckie":kvt1kss9 said:
Brandomn2, that picture is so extreme, it's hard to believe that it is real. It looks like the quills are stuck in the dog's eyes. Chuckie

I don't know who originally posted the pics to know if it is real or not; but the blood looks real enough. Knowing pit bulls......I bet she closed her eyes during the attack and probably has several attached to her eye lids. Also knowing pit bulls, I believe the porcupine is in the next life. A Coyote, wolf, German Shepherd, Mastiff, etc probably even a bear or mountain lion would have backed off when first stung by quills. A pit bull on the other hand is much more likely to have......waded through the waves of pain to inflict the kill no matter what the price.

I've never had a problem with quills in my cattle but porcupines are pretty common around here and one of my dogs is really good at finding them :( .

Old Sam just doesn't learn and he tears into every porcupine he finds. The porcupine always dies but Sam is usually in a big old mess afterwards and it usually requires a trip to the vet.

Spent two hours last summer pulling quills out of our Springer...looked like a Amish celery farmer...darn dog hit the critter again a few months later..only 1/2 hour this time. The Lab only had a few the first go-around and knew better the next.
Cows stay away from them...DMc

She said the vet cut them and said something about the air in the quills created a vaccume until they were cut, then they became like straws
thanks I didn`t know that ,I hope we don`t have another chance to try it.

Holmesfarm":2p0gopex said:
She said the vet cut them and said something about the air in the quills created a vaccume until they were cut, then they became like straws
thanks I didn`t know that ,I hope we don`t have another chance to try it.

Speaking as a vet who has had idiots cutting the ends off of quills....DON'T!! All you do is jam them in further and make it harder or impossible for us to get them out. I've been a vet for 21 years and have NEVER cut the durn things before pulling, as it doesn't help in the lease!!!

So...please don't!!

V

Thank you Vickie.

I was under the impression that the lady I spoke of actually only cut the very tip off the outside end end of the quills. But, I'll take your word for it - note to self - do not cut the quills.

thanks Vicky the vet . Quick hard pulls on each one is all we did and we got them all out. If you look at them closly they have a barb or hook on the end thats in the skin. i don`t think there any easy way to too it.

Many years ago, my two retrievers got zapped by a porcupine. The vet said he had to knock them out and "remove the dog from the quills." Expensive little walk in the woods that day, and on a Sunday, of course...but I was grateful the vet was willing to help.

Latest posts