Poped stifle

Help Support CattleToday:

cow_crazy_101

Reaction score
I haave a horse that was lent to us to ride for a while. Well the horse has a popped stifle. What do we do now? I want to snd it back but my sister and mom really like it. can it be fixed? I think the horse is a thourghbred. the horse is half starved and very wormy. I want to take of himn but i can see all the dollar sign adding up. What would you do?

Yes they can be put back.Find you a good vet to go over the horse and then a good chiro. and have the horse gone over.That ligimate can be put back in line and the joint injected.It could just be stretched from a slip or fall.Lots of things They used to clip that ligimate but not much of that any more.Good luck.

Don't think I would send a starving horse back to the original owner without at least alerting the authorities as to it's condition so it could be monitored. JMO

flaboy":3exjxmz0 said:
Don't think I would send a starving horse back to the original owner without at least alerting the authorities as to it's condition so it could be monitored. JMO

Oh no. I would never send a starving horse back to his original owners!! We are gonna keep her and try to put some weight on her. I think it has been popped out for quite a while. Someone from school told me to lance it?? What is ya'll say on that.

Lance What??
Is there an infection? Abcess?
If it's her stifle - then what most people mean by "the stifle is popped" is that the joint has actually dislocated - sometime the head just doesn't fit right in the joint cup or the cup has flattened or been otherwise damaged. It usually looks like the hind leg has been extended backwards too far and he can't step forward with it - it just kinda locks and gets stuck in that straight out behind position.