"Poor structure"

Help Support CattleToday:

alexfarms

Reaction score
See if what you all think of the structure on this bull. Notice anything?
Thanks.

Flatlander said:
Go to Chitwood Herefords on Facebook. I just posted a video of a poor structured L1 bull. I'm out of town on my phone or I'd post myself.

I get sick of looking at sorry xxx cattle and keeping my mouth shut, yet some bozos think L1's inherently suck. If polled L1's suck (if there really is such a thing), it's because of single trait selection for the polled gene.

Read more: http://herefordtalk.com/thread/1842/brrrr#ixzz2nYtdcyc4

Looks like the administrator deleted the thread. Shocker! Couldnt find the video either?

So I guess the only thing to discuss is there really polled Line 1's and if they do exist, do the suck and if they suck, why?

smnherf":13pkme62 said:
Looks like the administrator deleted the thread. Shocker! Couldnt find the video either?

So I guess the only thing to discuss is there really polled Line 1's and if they do exist, do the suck and if they suck, why?

The punch line is:

I think I'm the first person in the history of the internet who got banned because the moderator cursed at him. LOL

Yes and there are polled Line 1s. The first one semen collected was WCF L1 Domino 550. Both of his parents were born at the West Coast Florida station in the herd comprised of straight Miles City Line 1 Herefords. The station has a large supply of semen on 550 and his sire, but they won't share it. I have about 10 straws and I know of another 10 straws plus there are a few sons and grandsons of 550 scattered around the country.

So how did he get to be polled? I am guessing the same way that the first polled bulls in the breed genetic mutation or genes didn't get lined up right or something. You have a pic of him?

JHH":1mj50ggq said:
So how did he get to be polled? I am guessing the same way that the first polled bulls in the breed genetic mutation or genes didn't get lined up right or something. You have a pic of him?

I don't have a pic of him. He got the polled gene from his dam and I believe her grand-dam had been sold off the station and was polled also. The polled cows sometimes get called horned if they are scurred and de-horned (de-scurred actually) at a young age. So it is hard to say how many generations it went back. There were rumors a polled bull was sold through the sale at Miles City years ago, but others claimed the bull had been dehorned for some reason.

alexfarms":3e7u9qpi said:
Yes and there are polled Line 1s. The first one semen collected was WCF L1 Domino 550. Both of his parents were born at the West Coast Florida station in the herd comprised of straight Miles City Line 1 Herefords. The station has a large supply of semen on 550 and his sire, but they won't share it. I have about 10 straws and I know of another 10 straws plus there are a few sons and grandsons of 550 scattered around the country.

Yes, I realize that there are polled line ones. I know there are L1 purists who dont think the "bastardized" polled gene could occur in their gene pool and refuse to acknowledge it, but if you do a little research on hereford history, it occured more often than they think.

550 certainly isn't the first case. One such case I know about is the bull HHR L1 DOMINO 960. Gary Witherspoon started one of his lines with the bull.

Latest posts