Pondering

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
I wonder if anyone has ever done a study of the bite/chew strength of a barn cat. Ours brought me a gift this morning, a grown rabbit. The rabbit had to weigh at least as much as the cat, around 4 pounds or so. Cat managed to eat the whole thing, leg bones and skull included in about 5 minutes. All that was ledt is a little bit of fur.

Let me get this straight.

A four pound cat ate his weight in Rabbit in 10 minutes.

No offense Dun but tommorrow you might want to try Milk on those Wheaties instead of Jack Daniels.

Repeat after me "nice kitty, nice kitty"

My cat ounce brought me a half grown rabbit live and turned it loose in the house. She rolled on the floor laughing as I chased that rabbit around the house. Finally cornered it behind the refrigerator and caught it.

Fred ( :devil2: cat)

I have some admiration for our barn cats, too. I've seen them bring up half-grown rabbits from time to time, and anytime it's cold enough, any birds that slip in the barn to hide are taking their lives in their own hands - so to speak. My favorite barn cat story though is when we lit a brush/scrap lumber/feed sack pile on fire and mice came scrambling out. One cat jammed 5 of the suckers in her mouth before she ran off somewhere to devour them.

3waycross":308uwyb6 said:
Let me get this straight.

A four pound cat ate his weight in Rabbit in 10 minutes.

No offense Dun but tommorrow you might want to try Milk on those Wheaties instead of Jack Daniels.

Repeat after me "nice kitty, nice kitty"
That's the part I can;t understand. It takes her about 2 minutes with a field rat, half an hour for a bird, but the rabbit was gone FAST. I know she can swallow huge chinks, I once tried to get a field rat away from her that she hadn;t started eating yet and she swallowed it whole.

Usually with the rabbits she leaves the gut pile for the dog, but not this morning

I misjudged her weight. Saw a cat this morning that's been being doctored and it's about the same size as ours, it weighs 7 pounds. I haven;t picked up our cat in 4-5 years but she looks to me to be about the size of a fryer rabbit, that's why I guessed 4 pounds.

The weight of a cat can be hard to judge. A barn cat that has to work for a living and is in good health will supprise you as they are solid muscle.. I had a big tom that was death on squrrels.

They are very amazing critters! This is tiny little Leo who has fended for himself (with a little help for about 10days) and is latched onto a piece of beef liver and ain't gonna give it up to the bigger kitten. He is tiny but mighty.

Ah, barn cats..Ive seen mine drag up grown rabbits and my little one now had a field rat that weighed as much as her the other day..she ate everything but the tail..left that by my door..ick

Latest posts