Poli-Ticks redeux

Help Support CattleToday:

Crowderfarms

Reaction score
Aint nothing polite about them seed Ticks this year. Been spraying my britches legs for a month now before I walk a fence... Ya'll got em' bad where you're at? And to think you thought this was gonna be a poli tickal discussion.

In normal years my wife will get them all over her and I won;t get a one. This year I'm getting them as bad as she is.

Ticks will rarely attach themselves to me, skeeters prefer others befor me and I'm not sensitive to poison ivey or sumac but the yellow jackets seem to be attracted to me. Some of this could be due to some old wives tales I adhere to in the spring and summer. Don't know if they work or not but I tend to be fairly pest free while others sometimes have to shave the ticks off themselves.

Jogeephus":20yza5zu said:
Ticks will rarely attach themselves to me, skeeters prefer others befor me and I'm not sensitive to poison ivey or sumac but the yellow jackets seem to be attracted to me. Some of this could be due to some old wives tales I adhere to in the spring and summer. Don't know if they work or not but I tend to be fairly pest free while others sometimes have to shave the ticks off themselves.

I haven't even seen a tick in years here figured the fire ants took them out.
Seems to me it is the red wasp that have drawn a fine bead on me. They go out of the way to pop me. Opened the tool shed door one time got popped seven times before I could get the overdrive kicked in. Went and got a broom with gasoline Mrs. was hollering you are goning to burn the shed down. I replied I didn't care if the whole place burned Mrs. said why don't you spray them with wasp and hornet spray I said because it is in the shed.
I have wasp spray stockpiled everywhere now.

Jogeephus":g22blkp6 said:
So you don't bathe all summer either huh Jogee ;-)
works pretty good if ya ask me

Angus Cowman":301u1xgq said:
Jogeephus":301u1xgq said:
So you don't bathe all summer either huh Jogee ;-)
works pretty good if ya ask me

Its pointless, just gonna get dirty again. Besides, I've been trying to watch my water footprint as well.

Jogeephus":rulc6vg4 said:

That sounds like me last year Turkey huntin in Missouri. I was picking off 15 or 20 a day and still finding them a week later. The Lyme disease was just a bonus.

I would sure like to know your secret for keeping them off.

backhoeboogie":zdupp4br said:
No ticks. Been getting double doses of chiggers tho.
Funny because I've never had a problem with chiggers, wife does though. Had to take her to the emergency room one time becuse she had so many of them and really reacted badly to them

We're in the middle of a long dry spell - strange for us. The only benefit I see is that there are virtually no mosquitos. None. I can never remember no mosquitos. I've been working on the corral lately and I actually sat back on the mule and took a nap for about an hour yesterday. Normally if you did that, you'd wake up with mosquito bites all over you.

While out checking cattle I noticed that 2 knew runways for mosquito landing's were under construction.
Rekon they're getting prepared for when the rain stops.

Cal

We got em all,
Chiggers
Buffalo Gnats
Ticks
Wasps
Bees
Yellow Jackets, the kind that live in the ground and Mosquitos
Take your pick, which biting pest do you like the best. :lol2:
Lets not forget the snakes, Copperheads , Rattlers and Cotton Mouths.

3waycross":18yxooec said:

I like to first clarify and say its a relative thing. They still will bite me but relative to another person they don't bother me as often. I used to work with some turpentiners around the okeefeenokee swamp and I'd talk and listen to them. These men spent their entire days in the woods and rarely used sprays but relied on their diet to keep the bugs at bay. Vinegar and sulfur intake seemed to be the key. Some lowland wells produce what we call sulfur water. This is the preferred drinking water during the summer months; They also drank vinegar or consumed more pickled foods deter the bugs. I try to do the same and it seems to make a difference. My poison oak resistance came from drinking a tea that was prepared from the plant. (yes, this was an act of faith) Even though I find myself wading through it and sometimes with my face in it I haven't had a case of it since I drank the tea about 25 years ago. A friend of mine who is a doctor of pharmacy told me I am now hypo-sensitive to the oils so I assume there is some scientific basis to this.

Jogeephus":2gu1k140 said:
3waycross":2gu1k140 said:

I like to first clarify and say its a relative thing. They still will bite me but relative to another person they don't bother me as often. I used to work with some turpentiners around the okeefeenokee swamp and I'd talk and listen to them. These men spent their entire days in the woods and rarely used sprays but relied on their diet to keep the bugs at bay. Vinegar and sulfur intake seemed to be the key. Some lowland wells produce what we call sulfur water. This is the preferred drinking water during the summer months; They also drank vinegar or consumed more pickled foods deter the bugs. I try to do the same and it seems to make a difference. My poison oak resistance came from drinking a tea that was prepared from the plant. (yes, this was an act of faith) Even though I find myself wading through it and sometimes with my face in it I haven't had a case of it since I drank the tea about 25 years ago. A friend of mine who is a doctor of pharmacy told me I am now hypo-sensitive to the oils so I assume there is some scientific basis to this.

Thanks. I guess the diet of home made wine and salami and aged provolone from Italy, that me and Double V were on, for that trip didn't discourage the little buggers like yours would.

Sure tasted good though.

Just pickle some texas hot links in some vinegar and water with some habenera peppers and I doubt they will mess with you. A little added garlic wouldn't hurt things either. :nod:

backhoeboogie":214va4hx said:
Dang the reminds me. Back in '04 I went to Texas to work with a custom harvesting crew and boy did I find out what chiggers are fast. Those suckers are terrible! I would takes ticks all day long over them buggers. Sure glad I was only there a month. Don't know if I could take that year in and year out.

novaman":3nbb6o85 said:
backhoeboogie":3nbb6o85 said:
Dang the reminds me. Back in '04 I went to Texas to work with a custom harvesting crew and boy did I find out what chiggers are fast. Those suckers are terrible! I would takes ticks all day long over them buggers. Sure glad I was only there a month. Don't know if I could take that year in and year out.

Chigger Rid cream is so good I buy it three bottles at a time.