Polaris Spot Sprayer (DIY or Buy)

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Hello all!

I'm looking for a 35-40 gallon sprayer to use for individual plant treatment of Sendero to mesquite that I can put in the cargo bed of my Polaris Ranger. I'll only be using a spray gun, so no boom attachments needed. I sprayed 5000 acres last season (shortened season) with a 25 gallon sprayer that was older and thrown together so am looking to upgrade to be more efficient since I'm looking at 10,000 acres as a goal for this year. With the UTV setup, I drive with one hand, hold the spray gun in the other, and occasionally get out to reach more places at once.

I know there are a lot of expensive options out there so I feel handy enough to build my own, I just need a guide or advice on how to do so. At the 35-40 gallon range, I think it would be a lot cheaper, but would want to build it right and reliable - any suggestions on best pumps, tools to use to attach and drill into the tank, spray gun, etc. If I'm feeling fancy, I'd get a hose reel as well.

Of course, if anyone knows of any good deals or great setups out there that I should look into buying, I'm open to that as well!

Thanks for the help!

M-5 said:
Ag spray will have any setup your looking for.

I looked at their site, and it looks like they only have either 25 gallon or a 55 gallon option (with boom). Looking for 35-40 and a bit cheaper! Thanks for the reply though!

mesquitekiller said:
M-5 said:
Ag spray will have any setup your looking for.

I looked at their site, and it looks like they only have either 25 gallon or a 55 gallon option (with boom). Looking for 35-40 and a bit cheaper! Thanks for the reply though!

They carry from 25 to 2000 gal tanks and any setup you can think of they build them for you or sell you what you want to build yourself .

So are you doing this for hire or on your own 15000 acres?

Are you happy with Sendero? I guess you are foliar spraying?

Reason I ask is I am thinking about going back to Remedy/ Reclaim mix. To me it worked better.

For hire by a private rancher I know through friends.

Sendero seems to work really well, but I'll be better able to tell you when we see results from last season's spray. From everyone I've talked to and via research, it seems like sendero has a higher kill rate but it's not such a great difference that if you like the Remedy mix better, I'd say do what works best for you. Again, I'll be able to tell you how effective the sendero was in a month or two. I know my brother sprayed it a couple seasons ago via individual plant treatment like I did last year and got an impressive 92% kill.

You plan to spot spray large acreage with a 40 gal utv sprayer?
Gonna be making lots of trip back to the well or nurse tank.

Buy a high end all metal gun. I would prolly just pick as big as tank as i wanted and put a pump on it with the metal gun. I built something similar to spray dry tobacco with when taking it down. Used 40 gallon tank. I would likely through a deep cycle battery or 2 in the bed than pulling that little ranger battery everyday. Be good to tie handle open and have a toggle switch so you hand doesnt get tired holding handle open all day

greybeard said:
You plan to spot spray large acreage with a 40 gal utv sprayer?
Gonna be making lots of trip back to the well or nurse tank.

I managed 4800 acres last year with a 25 gallon, and probably made 2-3 refills a day last season. Depends on the height of plants and frequency and such. I'd have the 25 then several containers that could refill 20 gallons along with me so didn't have to return too often. I can only imagine how much nicer a 40 would be!

I hesitate to put a 50-55 gallon sprayer in the back of my polaris (not because of cargo bed capacity, it will handle 1000 lb) but because I'm in country that's a bit rough. It gets sloshed around a ton and in some sandy areas, the weight could be problematic.

I would buy a skid mount so it can easily be removed. Not enough money to me to fool around building one. The pumps are rebuildable or in my case I buy an extra one (and a spray wand) to have on hand.

I bought one of these a couple years ago, scroll down to the model UTV-65-BL.

http://www.fimcoindustries.com/UTV-Sprayers.html

Just because it holds 65 gallons doesn't mean you have to put that much in each time. Low profile tank so the center of gravity is pretty low. Boom has a quick disconnect at the manifold, easily removed if not needed. Pump went out on mine after a year, but replacement is doing fine.

Not sure how it'll hold up in a commercial setting, but I'm pleased with it.

If I was going to be spraying 10,000 acres with a spot sprayer, I don't think I would be too worried about saving a few bucks. We have 3 50 gal ag sprayers setup on a skid to set right in the back of the gators. The all have boomless nozzles, but majorly of the time they just spray fence rows. They have been great, much better than any fimco I've ever owned. The all steel hi preformance gun is worth the money also.

cfpinz said:
I bought one of these a couple years ago, scroll down to the model UTV-65-BL.

http://www.fimcoindustries.com/UTV-Sprayers.html

Just because it holds 65 gallons doesn't mean you have to put that much in each time. Low profile tank so the center of gravity is pretty low. Boom has a quick disconnect at the manifold, easily removed if not needed. Pump went out on mine after a year, but replacement is doing fine.

Not sure how it'll hold up in a commercial setting, but I'm pleased with it.

They also make a 45 gallon.

You can get the sprayer easy enough from tsc. Just plan on replacing the pump. When do replace with the delvac 4+ gpm. And also I like the orchard gun. You adjust spray pattern by trigger pressure as your spraying.

If I was spraying that much acreage I would hire it out to be sprayed by plane.

We had several tsc set ups. Most the pumps go out in a year or two. Then you replace the pumps and a year later the tanks crack.

Not saying they dont have their place but you get what you pay for. We bought a sprayer from the JD place here, not sure the brand, replaced the original pump probably 4 years in and are still using the tank. Have every bit of 8 years on it. It was a $200-300 set up at the time.

I'm building me one right now. I need to order my tank online. I have the pump, plumbing, hose, wand, etc all ready to go. Going to a 100g tank with a bigger pump. 15-30g doesnt go far spraying a foliage spray. I want to be able to launch it up on big brush. Plus, it will work good for burning pastures.

What pump size are you upgrading to? And what wand do you use? The full metal brass ones are so heavy I prefer the ones with less weight, even if it's plastic.

Its Delvan 5gpm

https://www.agprofessional.com/article/new-extreme-duty-12v-diaphragm-pumps-delavan-ag-pumps

Im not hand spraying little individual bushes much any more. Its mostly larger plants, fence lines, etc... places the boom less nozzle cant get.

How big are the mesquite you are straying?