Poison Hemlock

Help Support CattleToday:

Hereford2

Reaction score
How do you get rid of poison Hemlock? It's between two houses, sis in law tried pulling it with only eyes sticking out and still got covered in a rash. Any advice appreciated. Also would an animal eat it? Not wanting any to. Just curious.

How do you get rid of poison Hemlock? It's between two houses, sis in law tried pulling it with only eyes sticking out and still got covered in a rash. Any advice appreciated. Also would an animal eat it? Not wanting any to. Just curious.
The smaller it is the easier it is to kill. 2-4-D works fairly well when it still looks like a fern. I haven't had much luck with roundup. My favorite is Banvil, but you really have to be careful about drifting.
If the hemlock gets over hip high it gets pretty tough. Mow it off and spray it when it grows back.

The animals tend to not eat if they have a choice. The pungent smell usually keeps them away.

RoundUp works well for me. I have pretty much eliminated the scattered patches of hemlock that grew along drainage ditches and in damp bottoms.

Thank you for the advice, haven't tried spraying it, because wasn't sure what to use.

Poison hemlock has never been proven to cause a rash, it is a deadly poison if ingested or absorbed through the skin. It is believed to be the poison used to execute the philosopher Socretes in Ancient Greece, a tea was made with PH and he was forced to drink it according to the written account, in which he describes the effects as it paralyzed his body. Even today there is no known antidote, although a few people have survived exposure by being put on life support while their body processes and expels the poison. I expect the rash was caused by another plant growing with the PH, and some plants such as wild parsnip and giant hogweed like to grow with PH and can cause serious phytophoto skin reactions, third degree burn serious.

You say it is between two houses, as in possibly a landscaped or previously landscaped area? There are several plants that were brought to the US for ornamental flowers that are considered irritants. There are phone apps now for identifying plants from photos and if you don't want to do that, there are several sites similar to this one where its members are plant nuts who can help identify what you have. Just like here though, the advice is sometimes worth what you pay for it.

Well, one person said they use 24D, and another said Roundup, and I suggested both. A 24D- Roundup cocktails is deadly!
I'm gonna have to study on this some. 24D works within hours and shuts down the system that absorbs the Roundup which takes several days to show its working. If i use Roundup i don't use anything else.

Someone said the rash may have come from something else growing there. Are you sure it's hemlock? Queen Anne's Lace looks very similar and it can be pretty prolific. It was also brought in from another country (possibly Afghanistan) as an ornamental. It has a huge range and grows well from way down south to Canada. Saw lots of in roadside ditches around here last spring. The leaves on QAL will have hairs on them like the stems. The hemlock will not.

Someone said the rash may have come from something else growing there. Are you sure it's hemlock? Queen Anne's Lace looks very similar and it can be pretty prolific. It was also brought in from another country (possibly Afghanistan) as an ornamental. It has a huge range and grows well from way down south to Canada. Saw lots of in roadside ditches around here last spring. The leaves on QAL will have hairs on them like the stems. The hemlock will not.
We have Queen Ann's lace also. This stuff looks like poison Hemlock. No I don't have any pictures.

Latest posts