• Sometimes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Regularly

• What's a PM

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I use to get a notice in my email every time I got a PM but my new spam blocker doesn't seem to like messages from cattle today.
Strange because I always thought spam was made of pork, not beef?

Jake":2om4fqz7 said:
most of my communicating on here is done through pms. I find it hard to find topics that have substance and don't turn into a bickering match. So if I have something to say to the poster I just send a pm.

I definitely understand what you're saying, but I often wonder how much good advise is missed by rookies like me because it was discussed by PM instead of openly on the board. These boards have been a great tool for me and I figure the bickering and thread jacking is just a part of doing business that I can't control, like mud or droughts.

dun":oqdz8wi3 said:
cfpinz":oqdz8wi3 said:
Pops up on its own.

Now stop sending me those nudies.

cfpinz

I thought you'ld appreciate those pictures of your wife!

dun

Those don't bother me, they're posted on the net for everyone to see. It's those ones of yourself that make me toss my taters!

cfpinz

Well, I don't get any PM"s. As a matter of fact when I post something on the forum, that usually stops all correspondence. I'm not interesting enough for anyone to PM me.
~Bud in L.A.~

For those of you that aren't getting popups when you come to the forums and have a PM because you're using IE7 or Firefox and have the "block popups" feature enabled, you can add this site to your browser's exception list if you like and it will only allow this site to deliver a popup notification.

If step by steps are needed, let me know and I'll be more than happy to oblige. :)

Workinonit Farm":3uhl5t5u said:
I'm notified by e-mail that I have a PM. Always read them when I get them.

Katherine

Same here. I don't get any asking questions too often because people have figured out by now that I don't know much. ;-) I've found it a good way to clarify something that was misunderstood, or get to know someone a little better without putting it out there for all to see. Also a good way to discuss things that are forbidden on the boards.

People often come across quite differently through a PM than they do on the boards. I can only recall one nasty PM and that person is no longer with us.

PMs take up most of the time I have for the internet. To be truthful when I post on the main board it is to help the folks that are not part of my main PM members.

I appreciate each cattle person that sends them to me and I will always do my best to give the best advice I can. Every response I give is based on my personal knowledge over the last 30 ect. years, plus the years of knowledge past down to me from my Father. I believe that if you take the time to PM me you deserve a straight answer that will get you ahead in the cattle world.

C HOLLAND":13cpg92w said:
The fact is so many people get blasted for their post they tend to just not ask or use PM only.
JMO

You are right about that. And it is a shame. Folks need to get a little thicker skinned. Some of the subject matter in pms and email would be enlightening for all. And there are times I see that same question asked in a thread some time later by someone else.

There are times I get pms that I simply do not have the expertise to answer. I certainly don't know much about raising cattle outside of this Texas climate and such. Plus my knowledge is old school that I learned from past generations and there are some new tricks, medications and technology out there that I have not familiarised myself with. So if you can post questions in a thread, you are more likely going to get a broader perspective.

I truly appreciate those who give me leads on things in pms. Just today someone was trying to help me acquire another trampoline frame (close by here). I build hay cradles out of them. That pm was very much appreciated.

my pop up thing only works sometimes. i depend on it to alert me to new messages though. so mostly i happen onto new messages by accident so if anyone ever sends me one you might want to alert me so that i will check it. Also, ive noticed I'm really REALLY bad about replying to a post and then forgetting to check back in to see what was said afterwards so if i dont respond, i'm not doing it on purpose, usually.

I think sometimes PM's are better than posting on the board. Sometimes you may need a name and number of a person. I don't feel the board is the place to post someones name and phone number if you don't have their permission.

I also believe that a lot can be learned through reading the boards. In our area where vets are few and far between, the board experts have given us enough information to keep our animals alive. At the very least, they gave us a way to begin treating our animals when we didn't have a clue or we had the wrong clue. You know the old saying.....you have just enough knowelge to make you dangerous.

Bud In lower Ala":oygzm6ax said:
Well, I don't get any PM"s. As a matter of fact when I post something on the forum, that usually stops all correspondence. I'm not interesting enough for anyone to PM me.
~Bud in L.A.~

Hey Bud you have PM. :lol:

I get an email notice when I have a PM.
Dun, I didn't know that - I put my curser over the "Inbox" and it said "you have a new message". Slick!!
Isn't life great, always something new to learn - of course for me - I may have "learned" it before & just forgot :shock:

bigbull338":1ptohsye said:
i have an email sent to me.if someone sends me a pm.an it also pops up when im on the board.an tells me i have a pm.

same here.

Crowderfarms":1k0d4hh6 said:
Is a PM anything like PMS?

Depends on the source. I thought PMS was a female thing til I got on here for a while. Seems that it doesn't discriminate. :lol:

Latest posts