IMG_20210624_210658241.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20210623_201512158.jpg
    IMG_20210623_201512158.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20210623_201559628.jpg
    IMG_20210623_201559628.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 6
My grandmother used to do some great deserts with bottled plums in syrup from her friends plum tree. It was a prolific producer and nothing went to waste. Brings back a lot of memories Sky.

Ken

WOW,,, that's quite a tree. Hoping in a few years will have some fruit trees here producing like that.... will have about 10 different peach trees once they get moved to my property.... they all have fruit on them now at the place they are and they are going to get cut down this winter, if they are not moved....
Some apples and pears there that are going to get moved too....
I love plums too.... and apricots. Can you dry plums? Dried apricots are good and apples, peaches and pears can be dried... don't know about plums.

WOW,,, that's quite a tree. Hoping in a few years will have some fruit trees here producing like that.... will have about 10 different peach trees once they get moved to my property.... they all have fruit on them now at the place they are and they are going to get cut down this winter, if they are not moved....
I love plums too.... and apricots. Can you dry plums? Dried apricots are good and apples, peaches and pears can be dried... don't know about plums.
I guess prunes are a close thing to a dried plum so most likely can. My wife makes fruit leather with plums, it's a little sharp and i guess that is down to the skin but the kids love it.

My grandmother used to do some great deserts with bottled plums in syrup from her friends plum tree. It was a prolific producer and nothing went to waste. Brings back a lot of memories Sky.

Ken
I understand truly my canning partner was my grandmother. I didn't put hardly any pectin in cause I wanted it like a syrup. So far the ice cream had it no pancakes or toast yet.

What's important to fruit trees is proper pruning while young. I have never seen a dry plum... That's a good question. I hope your trees do well .

If you ever drank prune juice or ate a prune, you have had a dried plum. Prunes are dried/dehydrated plums.

No recipe here for plum brandy or plum wine. I just did the quality control end of things..the tasting of finished product. Sometimes, it took a good bit of quantity to make sure the whole jar was good quality all the way thru.... ;)

Last edited:
If you ever drank prune juice or ate a prune, you have had a dried plum. Prunes are dried/dehydrated plums.

No recipe here for plum brandy or plum wine. I just did the quality control end of things..the tasting of finished product. Sometimes, it took a good bit of quantity to make sure the whole jar was good quality all the way thru....
One of my uncle's made grappa out of plums, i was too young to try it but years later i got to try some at a friends house. They used it to mix in drinks as it was about 40% alcohol. To me it was terrible, tasted like glue.

Never crossed my mind that prunes are really dried plums.... and I like prunes. DUH.....

Need to learn about the pruning. all these trees have not been touched and have been in the ground for 3-5 years and do need to be done. Wish I knew someone around here with experience to learn from. The three I transplanted here from the rental I was living , had to come or get cut down, and I didn't want to touch them as they were in full bloom... then looked like they were dying, but now have green leaves... so wanted them to get all the advantage of the leaves feeding the roots this year. The rest will get transplanted this winter while dormant from the other place. So plan to try the pruning this winter....

Never crossed my mind that prunes are really dried plums.... and I like prunes. DUH.....

Need to learn about the pruning. all these trees have not been touched and have been in the ground for 3-5 years and do need to be done. Wish I knew someone around here with experience to learn from. The three I transplanted here from the rental I was living , had to come or get cut down, and I didn't want to touch them as they were in full bloom... then looked like they were dying, but now have green leaves... so wanted them to get all the advantage of the leaves feeding the roots this year. The rest will get transplanted this winter while dormant from the other place. So plan to try the pruning this winter....
Jan, ask your local extension agent. Many of them have the knowledge or knows someone that does.

One of my uncle's made grappa out of plums, i was too young to try it but years later i got to try some at a friends house. They used it to mix in drinks as it was about 40% alcohol. To me it was terrible, tasted like glue.
Red, a couple of fellows died here a couple of years ago drinking some grappa. If it is not distilled right you end up with methanol. Big Italian community here so a lot of that sort of stuff with all the fruit trees. The older more traditional ones are starting to die off now so not as much salami made.

Ken

Red, a couple of fellows died here a couple of years ago drinking some grappa. If it is not distilled right you end up with methanol. Big Italian community here so a lot of that sort of stuff with all the fruit trees. The older more traditional ones are starting to die off now so not as much salami made.

Ken
I grew up in an Italian community where home made sausages, wine and everything in between was produced and shared. My neighbour is still big into it but it is all getting lost in the younger generations unfortunately. I have noticed a bit of a renewed interest though and i guess that's when things can go wrong and the tricks of the trade that have been lost could result in food poisoning and ethanol poisoning.

Plums are easy to prune. They fruit on two year old plus wood so basically you shape the tree to how many main branches or leaders you want. For instance if you have a single leader going straight up, which is good for trellis. Alternatively for free standing trees you create four main leaders creating vase trees. Off these maine leaders you have your fruiting wood. When pruning established trees you start by cutting off all the long one year old growth and then thin out everything else so the tree isnt crowded and plenty of air and light can get into the tree. The actual most important part of growing plums is fruit thining, spacing the fruit on the tree, when finger nail size, to one fruit four inches apart over the whole tree. Biggest job in commercial fruit growing and extremely boring!

Unfortunately, the trees I need pruning are peaches, some apple trees and pears. I will be transplanting them here this winter. I would like to spend a little time with someone here that knows what they are doing, and learn by doing... but it will get worked out. Going to take the advice and contact the extension people and see if there is someone with knowledge and experience to talk to or even pay to come do it once they get transplanted. I don't even know if they are semi-dwarf or full size...the peaches look to be dwarf or semi, but the pears look to be full size????
Hey, they are going to be free for the moving, so who am I to look a gift horse in the mouth. At $35 to $75 to buy a fruit tree, and these will suffer the transplant but have 3 years growth on a small potted tree, and the peaches are all, producing peaches this year so will suffer a set back for a year then ought to come on.... moving them will take a bit, but I would have to dig holes for potted trees too.... I figure it is worth it since they will be cut down this winter otherwise.

Not plums, but still fruit..... Looks like I'll have a good crop of scuppernongs this year but not as many as last year. I was afraid the deep freeze had hurt the vine but it came back strong.
I need to get busy and root a bunch of the cuttings to take with me when I move.

Latest posts