Please explain EPDs.

Help Support CattleToday:

I would like to add that to some extent all the EPD's depend on the honesty and accuracy of the farmer reporting them.

denoginnizer":2nvsbv3s said:
I would like to add that to some extent all the EPD's depend on the honesty and accuracy of the farmer reporting them.

Not really. If you add weaning wt and subtract birth wt on all of your calves, the computer is going to chalk it up to good weather and management and it is not going to effect the EPD one bit. IF you are really sneaky, and you decrease the weights of the reference sire's calves and add weight to your new herd sire you are promoting you CAN essentially falsify that young bull's EPDs. Of course when other people buy semen from super bull and they report their data honestly your "next big thing" is going to drop back towards the pack and if this happens more than once you have made enemies amoung the breeders who will avoid AND badmouth your cattle for the next 20 years.

wvcowgirl":228tjm00 said:
Please explain, went to web site ????????
Here's how my papers read, Polled hereford
"SIRE" - PROGENY
Number Averages
Birth WT 24 101.4%
Weaning WT 14 100.6%
Yearling WT 1 95.0%

Yr.Sc. Cir. 39.0cm

GOOD ?? BAD???
Always looked at cows not the papers?? ;-)

I assume Herefords use ratios? If so, 100 is average. So this tells us that this bull's sire has had birth weights on 24 calves reported to the Hereford Assn. They ratioed 101.4 (a bit above average). He's had 14 Weaning weights reported and they ratioed 100.6, right at average. He's had 1 yearling weight reported and it was below average at 95.

I don't know if those ratios are within his herd contemporary groups or the entire Hereford breed.

Don't get all worried about epds or ebvs. Use them if you want or don't use them. You don't need them to run a successful cattle business. Put any figures in it doesn't really matter. Most commercial cattleman here in our country only sometimes use them as a guide maybe. I have seen bulls sold that have never been weighed at birth but down the track miraculously figures appear for birthweight. I'm sorry but to me they are an added cost and a time thing.
Recently some South Devon breeders who toured England as part of the World South Devon congress reported that one of the top SD herds in England,his cattle had slipped in size and uniformity and quality since using Breedplan,ebvs epds. Which is sad when this herd has been the backbone of bloodlines for the breed for many years. I have used them and have always been very happy with them.
I don't begrudge anyone for using a selection system. Its just another tool as long as it used wisely.
Colin

Latest posts