Please be aware of this!!

Help Support CattleToday:

Rocket1121

Reaction score
Last week I took my 10 year old Buckskin mare to the vet to have a biopsy sent off on a small spot of discolored skin with a small knot in the center of it. It came back positive for sircoid? cancer.
Yesterday we took her and had the spot of discolored skin which contained the cancer removed. It was on the lower portion of her side 6" in front of her flank. The removal went very well, the vet felt that he removed all the affected tissue so she should recover with no redevelopment. She ended up with stitches around 5 to 6" long.
At first it just looked like the type of welp a big horse fly would leave. So we was putting medication on it with in 2 weeks I started to notice the skin turning to a darker color and another smaller bump forming so off to the vet we went.
The vet said that this is a type of skin cancer that showes up under there tail, base of there ears, there eyes and legs but has been seen on other portions of there body. Early detection is the key to minimal effects of removal.
I wanted to post about this just to bring awareness that sometimes things are not as they seem. I was devastated when he told me my baby girl had this. She means the world to me.
Hope that this info will help someone stop a problem before it gets to big of a foot hold to be taken care of effectively.

Thanks,
Rocket.

Rocket1121":1eeuc5qm said:
Last week I took my 10 year old Buckskin mare to the vet to have a biopsy sent off on a small spot of discolored skin with a small knot in the center of it. It came back positive for sircoid? cancer.
Yesterday we took her and had the spot of discolored skin which contained the cancer removed. It was on the lower portion of her side 6" in front of her flank. The removal went very well, the vet felt that he removed all the affected tissue so she should recover with no redevelopment. She ended up with stitches around 5 to 6" long.
At first it just looked like the type of welp a big horse fly would leave. So we was putting medication on it with in 2 weeks I started to notice the skin turning to a darker color and another smaller bump forming so off to the vet we went.
The vet said that this is a type of skin cancer that showes up under there tail, base of there ears, there eyes and legs but has been seen on other portions of there body. Early detection is the key to minimal effects of removal.
I wanted to post about this just to bring awareness that sometimes things are not as they seem. I was devastated when he told me my baby girl had this. She means the world to me.
Hope that this info will help someone stop a problem before it gets to big of a foot hold to be taken care of effectively.

Thanks,
Rocket.

Sarcoid's are not always cancer, according to our vet whom I trust completely. One of our mare's has a sarcoid on her chest, and has had it for a couple of years now, with no other problems health wise, nor has the sarcoid grown. You stated that the biopsy came back positive for sarcoid, did it also come back positive for skin cancer or are you assuming that to be the case?

A couple of the donkeys had small sarcoids, like a large pimple that erupted very quickly and resembled a pink marble. Our vet gave us X-terra, enough for 4 applications (pricey stuff). It worked and they went away almost as fast as they appeared, and haven't come back.

All's he said is that it was the more dangerous of the cancers and needed to be removed due to the skin tissue starting to die around the bump and spreading. The way I understood it is that sarcoid was a type of skin cancer but I may have misunderstood what he was sayen.
They said that some types could be treated with medication but this one needed to be removed.
This vet has treated our animals sence the late 70's so I trusted him to do what was right.

Rocket, I respect your long-term relationship with your vet...my response was not a criticism of your decision, just trying to share what our experience was (and our vet suggested trying the X-terra before resorting to a surgical procedure...we were fortunate that it worked). I hope your mare will heal well and fully recover!

Thanks for clarifying, Rocket, I appreciate it. :) I sure hope your mare is ok, and that this nasty problem is taken care of for good!

Gale I'm not upset about anything. Your responce was well taken as it was well ment. Sorry if I typed wrong its hard to show emotions on these things, oh wait a minute here we go :D LOL!! Any way Mystery is doing very well. I just wanted to remind all including me to stop and take the time to notice even the smallest of changes through out all our animals. I have a total of 4 horses, 35 angus cows some with calves, 1 big ole 1500lb baby angus bull that is worse than a dog and I try to notice even the smallest of differences in them weekly. I was just shocked that something I thought was a fly bite turned out to be cancer.

Rocket1121":2o0j79ji said:
Any way Mystery is doing very well. I just wanted to remind all including me to stop and take the time to notice even the smallest of changes through out all our animals.

I'm glad Mystery (great name, by the way, mind if I borrow it sometime for a horse, dog, or cat of mine?) is doing well, and that is a good reminder for everyone. Thank you! :) I try to take 5 minutes or so once a day (usually at the evening feeding for the cattle, or while cleaning runs for the horses) to check all of the critters and make sure everything is as it should be.

Rocket1121":164inztn said:

Thanks,
Rocket.

Many times that stuff spreads after a vet does surgery on it. On those horses our rule is never mess with it. We have had horses that had those cist their whole lives and lived until they were 30. I have an old Appaloosa that is 30 and has a cist on his sheath and the vet wanted to do a biopsy, I told him no way, plus that was just another excuss for the stupid vet to price gouge me on some more needless work.

Ray,
Yes that was a question I had that it would reappear after removal? (Possibly) Yes I am still sceptical. The problem was spreading. In a 2 week period it went from a dime size knot to around 3" across with dark skin with discolored hair around it and more lumps forming so I felt that it was and still is a 50/50 shot that we could stop it. On your horses that have the cist are they a lump under the skin? Are the tops of the lumps broke open and not healing? Are they spreading with scaley discolored skin and hair turning black or dark brown around them spreading rapidly? Just asking these questions to see if they look and was acting like Mysterys. :?:

Rocket1121":2ctlg2p9 said:
Ray,
Yes that was a question I had that it would reappear after removal? (Possibly) Yes I am still sceptical. The problem was spreading. In a 2 week period it went from a dime size knot to around 3" across with dark skin with discolored hair around it and more lumps forming so I felt that it was and still is a 50/50 shot that we could stop it. On your horses that have the cist are they a lump under the skin? Are the tops of the lumps broke open and not healing? Are they spreading with scaley discolored skin and hair turning black or dark brown around them spreading rapidly? Just asking these questions to see if they look and was acting like Mysterys. :?:

I would say on my old Appaloosa that the cist is exactly what you described. Now in the past we have had gray horses with what we always called melanoma. I don't know the difference between a sarcoid cist or a melanoma but I know some have always been blistered open on top and have spread around a lot, like under the tail, and we have always left them alone. I know friends of mine have had cancer growths on the face of horses removed and those never came back.

We have a horse that's had one removed....and has another one under his belly...about where a back girth would go. The vet that removed the first one, when I asked him about any other treatment, he called another vet that had successfully treated them, but couldn't remember what it was..so he called to ask.....Unbelievably he said, the ond timey crest toothpaste...the old green mint paste. So that's what we are doin now....haven't been doin it long enuff to see results....but here's to hope.

i lost a mare last summer who had one on the inside of one of the fronts... we had it removed, but she colliced(sp?) about a week later...
ss

My daughter's quarter horse filly developed a sarcoid on the back of her ear at the base. It was the size of a garbanzo bean. Our vet injected it with something which didn't work. She developed another on her stifle.

A friend at another board recommended the herb Thuja. It is used for warts. I bought some oral drops at a health food / vitamin store. We gave her the human dose daily (20 drops) in her feed plus I rubbed it on the spots. I forget how long it took, but one day when I was putting the drops on it, it just fell off. Didn't even leave a scar. The one on her stifle disappeared also. It left a small scar. When I told our vet about it, he gave me a funny look. I know that is what worked because he didn't do anything to the one on her stifle and it cleared up too.

I have read that horses that live with cattle or are near cattle are more prone to get sarcoids. I forget why, but I'm sure that you can google it to find out more.

We have cattle and sometimes they share a pasture with the horses.

This from Mrs. VZCR.I have a stallion that developed a sarcoid and the Vet wanted to freeze burn it off. It was on his sheath :shock: and I said no way. He said it would get the size of a lemon if we didn't do something about it. I am a believer in hollistic ways to cure but had no idea what to use. Then about two days later a catolog came in the mail from Chamisa Ridge and in it was a testimonial from someone about his horse and a sarcoid and how this Ditton product would take care of the sarcoid. I ordered it and started feeding it to my horse. I took exactly three months to totally cure the sarcoid. After a month the sarcoid started breaking down and bleeding a little. Then the next month it completely fell of leaving a small hole. After another month it was completely healed and you cannot see where it was. He had also started developing small bumps, looked like small warts on his face which disappeared also with this treatment. It has been about 6 years ago this happened and he has not developed another one. You have to heal the horse from the inside out and his health was out of control from Ulcers to the sarcoid. Once the herbs took care of his inside problems he has been fine other than a couple of colic problems from moving to a sandy area. My Vet took me to the side and told me I was wasting my money on this product and it wouldn't work. I do trust his opinion but this time the herbs worked and he cannot argue with it. If anyone has a sarcoid problem go to the website
http://www.chamisaridge.com and take a look at their products. I use them quite often and have been please with all that I have used.
Sorry to be so long winded.

Latest posts