Plastic mineral feeder

Help Support CattleToday:

CowpokeJ

Reaction score
Dun, I was looking at the old posts, your pictures aren't on there anymore. Can you put some more of your mineral feeders and directions up?

feeder21.jpg

milesvb":10nbn4xu said:
Dun,
Do you remember the opening dimensions by any chance? Thanks.

Keep in mind that this isn;t a real precision deal.
The bottom of the opening is 10 1/2 to 12 inches from the bottom of the barrel, opening is 16-18 inches wide around the curve of the barrel, the only thing consistant is the hole is 18 inches high. I went out and measured a couple of them so I would get the numbers straight

dun

Any suggestions on were to get some food grade barrels at? I have a few of those around but they had Stripper and Wax in them don't wont a bunch of dead cows on my hand.

aplusmnt":a9hms1nu said:
Any suggestions on were to get some food grade barrels at? I have a few of those around but they had Stripper and Wax in them don't wont a bunch of dead cows on my hand.

We get them from the local farm supply store. Stay away from the ones that have had garlic in them. That garlic stink never goes away

dun

aplus the availablity locally has do with how many food related processors you have in your area.
If you don't want the strpper/wax barrels you can drop them off here on your next trip to Tablerock. I'd cut the holes in them and take them to the car wash. Washing with the motor degreaser,high pressure soap and a rinse they would be good to go for me. In the mean time I'll try to pick up some mustard barrells around here for you. 2 fer one swap?
Or if it's important to pay alot for them look here
http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=plasti ... =&ei=UTF-8

I have one ready to hang, how high should the bottom of the hole be off of the ground?

here some are high enough a calf's neck is level when it sticks it's head in. some are 5-6 inchs off the ground. so far i can't tell which way is better. Some people like them high enough the will be level with their utility vehicle that way they can put them in the back and the barrel is level when they put the mineral in. It would be easier that way, the barrel doesn't try to run away from you when filling and then you can just drive out from under it. I guess it just how you like to do it.

If the limb or whatever you hang it from is springy, I would hang it so that when it's full it just clears the ground. I hanf most of ours when there aren;t calves with the cows at about a foot off the gorund, otherwise just a couple of inches from the ground.

dun

any pepsi or coke platsa near by?

sometimes you can get thier old suryp barrels from therm for nothing or very cheap

about a yr ago i had the opportunity to accumulate close to 200 of them at a very very good price sold close to 150 of them for $7.00 ea. should have gotten more as the feed stores were getting almost twice that. any way just a thought about where to find them