Planting Crabgrass

Help Support CattleToday:

east_tex

Reaction score
Hello. I am considering planting red river crabgrass this Spring with a John Deere Van Brunt B grain drill. The drill has a grain box and a small seed box. Will the fuzzy seed plant ok with this drill? Should it be mixed with fertilizer? Any comments appreciated.

Consult with neighbors, and see what one of luck they are having with rrcg. I planted it, and was disappointed. Might have just been me.

I planted a combo of rr and quick and big. Mostly quick and big. It did great and I've ordered 125lbs more seed. Makes really high quality hay.
Can't answer in the drill, I had mine worked up and sowed it mixed with fertilizer. Used a air truck to do it.

I talked to producers in Bryan Texas today and was told rrcg can be special ordered in the spring.

east_tex":rjnux2q6 said:
Hello. I am considering planting red river crabgrass this Spring with a John Deere Van Brunt B grain drill. The drill has a grain box and a small seed box. Will the fuzzy seed plant ok with this drill? Should it be mixed with fertilizer? Any comments appreciated.

I put in a five acre test plot of Red River a few years back.
I pampered it per all the data I could find on it, you would never know it was here.
I have been toying with the idea of Alamo Switch grass more for deer cover and be able to graze it as well.

Pineland":38mgaylm said:
Caustic Burno":38mgaylm said:
I have been toying with the idea of Alamo Switch grass more for deer cover and be able to graze it as well.

X2 here!

Well I bit the bullet and ordered enough for five acres.
I am planting it for deer cover and figure what they heck if it works I will turn the cows in on it this fall.

Cb, where did you order it. I have about a clear patch in the woods about 4 acres. I planted seedling pines two years ago. Now want to plant something for a small deer plot.

papavillars":1xmxyevb said:
Cb, where did you order it. I have about a clear patch in the woods about 4 acres. I planted seedling pines two years ago. Now want to plant something for a small deer plot.

Here you go. I ordered 10 pounds.
I figured what the heII I spend more on deer food plots every year. If this is truly a perennial like they say I figured it might save some money in the long run. Be my luck they will eat it to the ground and it never comes back.
http://www.hancockseed.com/application- ... g-197.html

Well I ordered 10 pounds also. States grows in wet areas also. I have a 4 acre plot that stays wet or moist most of the year. Hopefully the cows or deer like it. That is if I can keep the blasted hogs out of it.

Just an FYI...and nothing against hancock seed as i will be ordering from them soon..BUT there also a place called Native american seed company here in texas that was cheaper in price when it came to the native seed....i didnt price compare to your switchgrass but it is worth checking out IMO

https://www.seedsource.com/

i planted crabgrass last year but didnt get the rains. I am hoping something happens this year. Although im in blackland and i think i probably chose something else. We'll see.

I ordered from estel farms in Oklahoma. As said earlier, there really good people. He is the one that came up with the big n quick variety and i think red river too. He is basically Mr. Crabgrass. Alot of the testing and research has been done by him. When i bought my seed he was the cheapest i could find...............i didnt say cheap, just the cheapest.

Latest posts