Planning to start a ranch

Help Support CattleToday:

BigBear99

Reaction score
Hi everyone, as the title says I'm planning on how im going to go about starting a cattle ranch. I want to maybe head up to Montana to buy land but I'm pretty open on the area. I just know I won't have much money starting off. So I was hoping to maybe get a loan for 100-200 acres and start there. Continue working my full time job as an aircraft mechanic to make payments and kind of set up the land on my off days. Building fences and buildings and such. And then once everything's ready start off with just a couple of older female cattle to help me ease into things. And keep the heifers and sell off the steers once they get up to market weight, and continue keeping the heifers until I build up a good sized herd. Then hopefully save a little money from my full time job and cut down to part time hours and make ranching full time from there. That's my rough plan right now, any advice or insight would be great. I'm new and want to learn as much as possible. Also I want to mention I plan on growing a few acres of hay for winter feeding, I have lots of cattle books and things I've bought just because it interest me so much. So most of the things I know are from flipping through the books. I'm still In high school so this dream is a little ways away. But please anyone shed some light upon this post, I appreciate any replies anybody gives, thanks in advance.

I'm not big into advice about staring up,but if you have a local FFA chapter get involved with it.

I am just curious as to what 200 acres cost in Montana, also how many cows can be run on 200 acres in Montana. :cboy:

cowboy43":1z4a8ltv said:
I am just curious as to what 200 acres cost in Montana, also how many cows can be run on 200 acres in Montana. :cboy:

Montana is a big state lots of differences from one end to the other. Good irrigated pasture.... $1 to 1.5 mil. Run 100 cows for 5 months of the year. Short grass dry land ..... $200K. Run 10 cows for 5 months.... maybe.

So you would have a life time morage and the cows after they are paid for wouldn't even pay the interest on the note. Correct me if I am wrong.

Latest posts