Planning a corral and pens

Help Support CattleToday:

tdc_cattle

Reaction score
Right now I really don't have much in the way of facilities. I really need something so I've been working on drawing something out. The pasture where the corral will go can support 40 pairs. I'm pretty sure the rough attached design would support more then that but it'd be nice to work with to much as opposed to not enough like I currently do.

The bigger area to the west could be used to wean calves as fell as a small feed lot if need be. The east side has the pens, tub, ally and chute. The chute will be under the lean to on the barn. They alley that runs down the middle could be accessed by two seperate pastures depending on how the gate was positioned. There is also another pasture to the north, it doesn't connect but ideally I'll build an alley so that it does.

Most of you have more experience then me so I'm looking for input before I finalize a design. The first step is to move dirt so the area is elevated and well drained. Hopefully you can make something out of the attached pic.

Looks like part of it got chopped off when I took the pic. There is an alley running the length of the drawing that got chopped off on the right side.

I like how you have those 6 pens there where you can work each pen through the chute and bring them back without mixing with the others. The only thing I can't see is any easy way to draft out from a large group of cows that come into the yards those individual small groups to go into those 6 pens.
Ken

Philip-TX":18cyav6j said:
I don't see a Loading chute/alley?

Curved alley sat the tub, where the diverted gate is. May need to put a short ally, but that's what that diverted gate is for.

I have built several different ones and modified each design with the new one over the years.
A good pen can be the difference in bad injuries to you or your livestock.
The couple things I have learned through the years is I always work cattle from behind
a gate. Secondly 99% of the train wrecks happen in the chute.
Lot of different good designs out there I would rather have the pen small and crowded
than one too big. :2cents: