pivot, rotational crops?

Help Support CattleToday:

blacklabel

Reaction score
What are some people doing as far as using a pivot and what crops are they rotating.

Would be for growing cattle... thinking corn silage, trit, alfalfa, maybe sorghums?

Small acres 40, split it up in 3rds?

For future references... just throwing ideas.

depends on where you are and what your market is. I'm not far from watermelon and cantaloupe country (south GA), and am selling grass finished beef for a premium. I've patterned my
forage mix after the grazing dairy's nearby. Summer forages are Tift leaf 3 Pearl Millet and Tift 85 Hybrid Bermuda, followed by Rye, Ryegrass, and or Oats in the winter/spring. Still experimenting with percentages and mixes. Might try to establish Alfalfa in some of the T85 after a few years, and also trying BMR dwarf forage sorghum this year. For grass finishing, if you get your buy/sell prices down and rotate paddock sizes to 1-3 day moves, you can profit as well as row crops would. Getting stocking pressure right is tricky though. Nice to have a reserve food (hay/silage/baleage) til you got your game together.

Thanks for the input. I had thought about this aswell. Just thinking out loud. I thought over time it would be cheaper to grow feed for a TMR vs buy it all. Even after the steep expense of a pivot and well.

Latest posts