Pipe question...Is this a good deal?

Help Support CattleToday:

TREY-L

Reaction score
I am a bit on the lazy side this week (working night shifts), so I decided to ask the folks here instead of calling around.

I am wanting to remodel one of my catch pens and I have decided to build it out of pipe. I have a chance to buy some heavy wall pipe, most of it still in 20' sticks. The majority of it is 2", but there are several 1.5" and a few 3.5" sticks in it. The guy is a scrap broker and he is willing to sell me as much as I want to load from the pile for $1.00 a foot. Is this a good deal?

As high as steel is these days, I was thinking yes.

All input is appreciated.

How mcuh does a foot of it weigh? Here scrap (useable pieces) sells for 75 cents a pound

Priced pipe yeasterday 2" and 3/4 1.98
3" = 2.40 weigh 3 lb per ft.
sucker rod 3/4 9.80 a stick
1 1/2" think it was 1.32 per ft
2 7/8" =2.20 per ft
All was heavy wall pipe.

TREY-L":1hpwlzmb said:
I am a bit on the lazy side this week (working night shifts), so I decided to ask the folks here instead of calling around.

I am wanting to remodel one of my catch pens and I have decided to build it out of pipe. I have a chance to buy some heavy wall pipe, most of it still in 20' sticks. The majority of it is 2", but there are several 1.5" and a few 3.5" sticks in it. The guy is a scrap broker and he is willing to sell me as much as I want to load from the pile for $1.00 a foot. Is this a good deal?

As high as steel is these days, I was thinking yes.

All input is appreciated.

I think it is a horrible deal. Why don't you give me this guy's name, number, and address so I can tell him how bad he is trying to rip you off. ;-)

It sounds like a great deal, and the bigger 3.5" pieces could be used for corner braces.

Holy Moly!..... Buck a foot? Wow..... I guess I've not been in the pipe market. I've thought about adding to my corralls, but wow..... geeze... :eek:

I'm sitting on a gold mine here and didn't even know it. My grandpa made a lot of this stuff around here from old boiler pipe when the old coal fired boilers starting getting removed from buildings in town. :cowboy:

I would like to thank all of you for the very informative responses. I guess I'll be loading some pipe Friday morning. I have about 400' set aside that I pulled out of the pile the other day, if I buy all the smaller pieces I'll probably end up with somewhere around a 1000'.

Anyway, thanks again.

Mahoney Pursley Ranch":2uo4znct said:
I'd buy all you can afford,use what you need and resell the rest. Will help pay for what your building.
I was thinking about just saving the rest. I'm always building something, and I'm sure I'll find a use for it somewhere. If I get ambitious maybe I'll build those drive over cattle gaps that I always wish I had.

Latest posts